BYOC, what're your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devilrob1979, May 26, 2008.

1. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I'm not worried about the technical aspects of this. I've modded pedals in the past and spend my life reading blueprints, drawings, etc. How is the quality of these pedals? I want to do a few as a buildup to Doug Roccaforte's amp kit on Mojomusicalsupply. Do they sound decent?

2. elicious

elicious Member

I have built and use the Delay and Bender kits...love 'em! :)

3. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I'm interested in this as well. I've considered the trem and compressor and wonder how the trem would compare to my old PN-2.

4. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

i've had nothing but good experience, and the forum is a great resource for troubleshooting and mod info.

5. soundbee

soundbee Member

+1 - BYOC kits appear to be great quality parts. I've built the trem, compressor, and screamer and all sounded great. I wasn't happy at first with trem rate (too quick on slowest setting). Went on the forum and quickl found a couple mods. Excellent!

Now, I just have to figure out how to do that swirly booteek paint job ;-D

6. thewex

thewex Member

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

I've nothing but positive things to say about BYOC - quality boards, parts & kits and thorough documentation!

8. Belt

Belt Member

I've been nothing but pleased with BYOC. The PCB's are top notch.

9. vivalamigra

vivalamigra Member

I put together the phaser, a year or two ago. It sounds absolutely great. It still amazes me how good it sounds, to be honest. My paint job sucks, though!!

He's added a depth control since I built my one-knobber, so now you get more versatility. I didn't really need a phaser, but ever since I built it it's stayed on the board.

10. cugel

cugel Member

+1
    i have the overdrive, compressor, delay, and the mkII and they all sound excellent. mod's o plenty as well on the forum too. and they never make you feel stupid no matter what the question. i will be doing a fuzz face asap and also moding my overdrive to LGDOD, or CJ OD specs

11. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i've had great success with a bunch of byoc kits and pcb's.

My wah never quite worked right and I think the pot is bad (very noisy and scratchy) and I sourced parts for the compressor myself and never got it working.

other than those two problems everything else is absolutely fantastic. The screamer/ overdrive pedal sounds better than any other TS clone or reissue i've tried (i've never tried an vintage one). I used to own a Keeley TS-9 and it sounded much better side by side IMO.

I gig with both the tremolo and overdrive (built to ts-9 specs) and I've never had a problem with them.

One of the best things about these kits are they are a great way for a complete electronics fool to get some basic skills. Before building pedals i would have never had the ability to mod and repair my own pedals which i've done on numerous occasions now.

good luck.

12. TB72

TB72 Member

I have two boards that I work with. I have a PN2 on one of them, and a byoc on the other. I love them both.

The PN2 is noticably warmer than the byoc...which doesn't mean better or worse. It's just something I noticed when comparing them.

Advantages of the byoc: It's true bypass. There's an internal trimpot which adjusts gain; you can even get a boost if you desire.

Advantages of the boss: It also does panning. Stereo ins and outs. It allows you to choose between sine and square wave.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either.

Later...

13. bduguay

bduguay Member

If you're interested, I can have a look at your compressor and get it working for you.
    B.

14. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't quite decided what I want. I might wait for the flanger to come out.

15. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

thanks

I actually dropped it off at a tech and he hasn't had much luck either. It was/ is super frustrating. The pcb is kind of mess because i've swapped so many different components on it trying to figure it out.

It might be a goner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think i've changed the axial caps that are along the top. (these photos are when I first completed it and it didn't work.

16. emeka

emeka Member

Anybody have anything good to say about the bigmuff clone? Any details about the MKII clone? How about the lazy sprocket? Thanks!

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I own one and I'm thinking about giving it to our keyboard player. IT sounds like a great sounding big muff. If you like that sound you'll love it.

I wish I would have gotten the MKII instead.

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

Anyone know much about the Phase Royal? I have one built/assembled by "Rockstar Pedals" which doesn't seem to exist any longer. I'm not sure if it was built properly, or if they just had a bit of distortion with high output humbuckers. I think I'll probably sell it since I got a Pigtronix EP-1 that doesn't distort my humbuckers.