BYOC - what's the story

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevel, Jul 3, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

BYO "clone".

So I see you've got a Rat, Muff, DOD, MXR, etc. (I'm talking only OD/Dist/) here.

Are they as good or better than store bought versions?

If I put one together (assuming my skills are adequate of course), am I going to get a "project" pedal that sounds "like" a Rat, or am I going to get something that's every bit as good as a Rat.

Furthermore, it looks like some of them come with even more customizability/sculptability than the originals - which makes them "cooler" if not "better". Does this pan out?

And finally, are boutique manufacturers sort of doing the same thing in a sense - are they building "clones" as well - I guess what I mean is, if I'm in my garage building pedals using these kits, am I building the same quality pedals as a Mike Fuller or Zachary Vex, or if we like, a Boss or a Voodoo Labs, etc. (I know they're not working from kits, but in principle)?

Steve

2. daysofspeed

daysofspeed Member

Ive only just started to experiment with BYOC pedals. Im in the middle of building a DOD 250 clone but am planning on doing some mods posted on their forum si its on hold until i can get the extra diodes.

The Rat clone is apparently very similar to the Keeley modded RAT and have heard good things about the rest of the pedals with similar claims that you list.

The kits pretty easy to build as long as you have basic soldering skills - i liken it to solder by numbers!

3. bduguay

bduguay Member

Are they as good or better than store bought versions?

IMO, yes.

If I put one together (assuming my skills are adequate of course), am I going to get a "project" pedal that sounds "like" a Rat, or am I going to get something that's every bit as good as a Rat.

IMO, yes.

Furthermore, it looks like some of them come with even more customizability/sculptability than the originals - which makes them "cooler" if not "better". Does this pan out?

IMO, yes.

......I guess what I mean is, if I'm in my garage building pedals using these kits, am I building the same quality pedals as a Mike Fuller or Zachary Vex, or if we like, a Boss or a Voodoo Labs, etc. (I know they're not working from kits, but in principle)?

If I build it for you then, IMO, yes.:eek:

B.

4. stevel

stevel Member

So, you're the guy?:D

I may buy a pre-assembled one first. I'd like to try my hand at doing my own, but I also don't have a lot of disposable income to dispose on something I might have to dispose of if I screw it up. But it's something I think I'd like to get into. I've just repaired the Ice-Maker in my fridge, and the A/C in my car myself, so I'm feeling like I'm starting to understand electronics a touch better (and I've been doing a little reading spurred on by the promise of the BYOC etc. stuff) so I think I might take the plunge soon. I think I'm going to practice soldering some stuff for a while until the un-predisposed income rolls in (which may be never!).

Thanks,
    and any other opinions - despite the "in" response here - are welcome.

Steve

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Good answer, B! :D

(Usually) higher quality parts than the originals had, true bypass (most originals weren't), many come with custom options which the originals didn't, and many of those options are based on things done by the big name boutique guys.

I feel safe saying MOST if not all of the kits are better than the orignals, and if tweaked properly, as good as much of what the boutique market sells. Whats really cool about that is, you can tweak it to what YOU want. Or just make it more flexible.

6. cugel

cugel Member

i own 4 byocs and yes they sound fantastic
    its worth taking your time to assemble them well
    cosmetically mine blow but sonically they slay pedals costing 3x as much
    once you start building them it really takes some hype out of booteek pedals since you open up a pedal that YOU soldered and it looks as good as anything you will buy.
    i need the fuzz face next from byoc buy want silicon not germ.

7. daysofspeed

daysofspeed Member

If you are in the US BYOC send you a free confidence booster kit with your first order. This is a simple kit where you can determine whether or not your soldering skills are up to the task. If you struggle with the confidence booster you can send the unopened other kit you purchase back for a refund. You can also start off with another simple kit for example the 250+ and then build yourself up from there.

Have a look at this thread from the BYOC forum:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6718

DIY isnt for everyone of course, so pre-builds may be the way to go

8. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I built a BYOC Confidence booster and then modded it
    for an enclosure, a real grain pot, and all that.
    It's awesome..I get compliments on it all the time...
    I love how it can be used as a cut, or a boost.
    Heckuva lot of fun to make as well.

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

10. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I have recently built three BYOC pedals: Tri-Boost, Opti-Comp and Overdrive. I had never built anything like this before but I had done about a dozen of the Monte Allums mods on Boss \ Ibanez pedals and I felt fairly confident with a soldering iron.

The quality of the pedals and the tone that comes out of them is very 'boo-tique'. My triboost reminds me of the Keeley Java Boost. My Opti-comp reminds me of my old Maxon Cp 101. And the Overdrive can be dialed in to sound very comparable to just about any high dollar OD I've owned (and I've owned many).

There is something very satisfying about plugging into a box that you built and tweaked and worked through the problems! For finishing, I used the simple method like the BJFE pedals. Just basic paint and hand lettered lettering. They look fine and sound great.

A great experience to say the least. I just ordered a Fuzz Face Kit from GeneralGuitarGadets today.

vtg

11. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

i had the 5 knob compressor. it was really nice but just wasnt what i needed. I think my favorite part was just putting it together and feel like i was cool electrician person...even though i was just following instructions :D

12. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I bought the DD-80 (digital delay) kit for my first build and I must say it was not that hard. I had soldered odds-and-ends before (never PCB) and it really made me appreciate a fine solder point and soldering cleanly.

I say buy one and build it (you'll get that extra booster for pete's sake) if you can follow simple directions, you should be able to build the pedal properly the first time.

Words of advice:
    - Make sure you have something to get rid of excess solder (they sell a sucker or that twine/string stuff at radio shack) and keep all solder joints to a nice, tight and clean minimum.
    - Make sure you have a nice tip on the gun
    - read the directions and materials sheet first then layout all materials separate (I used a tackle box) and check everything off to make sure you have it all and that you aren't going to drop anything or lose it.
    - Have good light
    - Don't have Tourette's Syndrome -- the ticking makes it a lot harder :eek:

Now....GO FOR IT HOMBRE!

13. charmboy

charmboy Member

I've built a couple each of BYOC and GGG kits. They are both fantastic. I honestly can't believe the value of these things!

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

I just finished the 5 knob compressor...absolutely brilliant idea with the blend knob..and under $100. Best compressor I have used, and yes, I'd choose it over the 'famous' ones.

15. rooster

rooster Member

I just built the 5-knob compressor last week. It's a great little box, and is permanently mounted on my pedalboard. Excellent stuff.

rooster.

16. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

...the solder mask and the inclusion of all the standard mods to these pedals really sets them apart. I usually make my own pcb's but, occasional order these boards due to their quality. Also, the layouts seem to be smart and limits the length of wiring to switches and pots. pcb mounted components like pots, leds and switches are also rather nice.

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I started on BYOC and GGG stuff a few years ago. It's been a great experience overall. I have built 3 overdrive kits, a large beaver, a tremolo kit and the BSIAB from GGG. The kits sound fantastic. The overdrive sounds better than the keeley TS9 head to head IMO.

It gave me some confidence and I started building stuff on perfboard after that.

18. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

B_of_H and I got addicted to building these around the same time. BYOC and GGG are very much worth the $ and effort. There's also a lot of perf board projects to do at DIY Fever after you get used to the kits.

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I love my mkII clone...I don't think it sounds much like a real mkII like Page or Beck used but it sounds great none the less...For me the size of the enclosure is great; You can have a fuzzface or big muff in a pedal the size of a boss tuner.

20. Unabender

Unabender Member

"Higher quality" does not automatically mean "better tone". For example, the reason JRC4558's are so good for Tube Screamers is because they really suck by today's standards. But for the particular circuit, it's pure tone sauce.

You have to remember all these original circuits were really developed for particular set of (and usually the cheapest) components, and not high quality ones.