1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

bypassing preamp through effectsloop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by danrs, May 17, 2011.

1. danrs

danrs Member

Got a question and cant get a good idea on the answer through reading other posts..
    I have a gibson goldtone 2 channel amp.
    Love the clean, dont like the gain of the amp for soloing.. I have tried all pedals and the best for my tone is my Mesa V twin, but I want to use it in a clever way.
    If you have ever used one you will know they have a delay in switching them on via the bypass button and switching between the three modes on the pedal.
    What I want to do is run it through the effects loop and use my gibson goldtone footswitch to select the effects loop on and off, thus bypassing the goldtone preamp when selected and using the mesa v twin which will always be switched to solo mode for my soloing.

Hope this makes sense and someone can explain how to do it..

I understand that using the pedal alone through the effects return will bypass the preamp of the goldtone but i still want to use the goldtones clean sound..
    I only use a tc nova system and fulltone fulldrive as effects, and rarely.

So simply I want to run a two amp setup with the one poweramp..

Im a bit of an amateur with this as im normally a straight into the amp kinda guy. so help me out!!

2. fly135

fly135 Member

You need a two loop switch. Put the Goldtone preamp in one loop and the Mesa V in the other. The guitar goes into the input of the switch and the output goes to the FX ret.

3. danrs

danrs Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PepTone-Tru...215?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a00ca290f
    something just like this?

if i then select just the v twin though wouldnt that have no power amp driving it? or am i missing something, sorry im not to up to date on routing effects.

4. danrs

danrs Member

sorry, i realize now the output is to the effects return.. so i get it.
    in that case my other pedals would go before the looper pedal? thus all preamps recieve the effects if needed?

If i wanted to try the v twin first in the effects loop and use the front of my amp and effects too i would need a looper wouldnt i?
    or can i setup as mesa vtwin/output to return effects loop send/ v twin input?
    then my guitar/effects/front of amplifier and then switch between effects loop via pedal??

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The problem you get into is that when the guitar is in the amp's clean channel, the loop is breaking the signal chain so the clean channel won't be heard.....I would use the amp in the clean channel all the time and run the preamp before the amp.....