• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Byrdland copy?

edgarallanpoe

Any Luthiers that make a Byrdland style guitar?. Preferably with a thicker neck.
Good question, I would love a Florintine cut away Byrdland but I'll be damned if I am going to pay Gibson prices for one.

David Myka

There are lots of custom builders on this site who make (or would make) a similar guitar. The Byrdland isn't that different from any other jazzbox-electric that I've seen. It's all in the details of electronics, body/custaway shape, etc.

Saul Koll builds some sweet vintage style hollowbody guitars. I'd check him out.

~David

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Jim Triggs will. He ran Gibson's Custom Shop for a while. triggsguitars.com I have owned and played his guitars. All very nice, and will do it the way you want.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
With all due respect, 24.75" scale is not a Byrdland. The short scale is what makes a Byrdland unique.

stan p

Brian Monty can pull this out. He has a great knowledge of both solidbody and archtop guitars.

gitman

i have owned 2 Byrdlands , one ‘60 with PAF's and one from '68 (sharp cut). both had wide enough necks for me but with both i was not able to dial in the tone i was hearing in my head. the short scale is very comfy when playing complex chords in the lower positions but above the 12th fret things get very cramped ... the only player i heard in recent years who got a great (jazz)tone out of a Byrdland is Anthony Wilson (on tour with Diana Krall) - a MONSTER player if there ever was one.....
Epiphone had a similar model out in the 80's but with a longer scale (which should not be a deal breaker for most) and today i would look at several very nice models by Heritage- great quality at affordable prices. IMO.
http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/Gear/858929/p4_ucc40vhme_so.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Topics