C P Thornton

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by alanbass1, Sep 24, 2006.

1. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Well, I have been pondering for quite a while now over one of the Jazz Elite's and have just taken the plunge and ordered one with the diamond inlays, 5A back et al. This will be ready in his December batch, so let the wait begin.

2. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I know Chuck Thornton from working with him at Pantheon Guitars from late 2001 to early 2004. He left Pantheon shortly after I did, but I understand he still does some contract work for them. He did neck carving (actually the final sanding of the CNC necks), fret jobs and final setup on the Bourgeois acoustic guitars. He's a great guy and an excellent guitar player to boot.

I got to play the prototypes of his guitars before I left. Great feeling, great sounding guitar. If I ever get my finances in order, I'd love to have one. Tell him I said hello.

John

3. BuddyPo'

BuddyPo' Member

A little over a week ago I received a Thorton Professional. It is the quilted maple, #48 on his site. I intend to do a thorough review later but I can say that I am more than pleased and Chuck was great to deal with. Also, as good as the pictures are, I was amazed at how much better the instrument looked in person. Also, the construction, ergonomics, and setup are exceptional...a very well thoughtout instrument.

The Professional has the five-way switch which gives some single coil settings from the Fralin Unbuckers. I have always be skeptical about such setups but he has done a great job with this feature. You can cover a lot of tonal territory with this guitar.

More later....enjoy

4. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Well, it's ready and going to be shipped on 26th to arrive by the 29th.....tap, tap, tap, tap.....

5. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

All I can say is oh my....I have some truly amazing instruments and this CP Thornton is right up there with the very best.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

I'm glad this guy is getting his own thread! Work like this is really motivating to a just-getting-started luthier like me. Keeps me inspired.

7. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Hey Douglas I just checked out your site, nice designs. What is space rock?

8. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

Thanks for the compliment! Space rock is a pretty vague term these days, but it started with bands like Pink Floyd. I just think of it as rock music with its head in the clouds... later stuff by Failure and Year Of The Rabbit, maybe some Cave In, some Muse... a lot of Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. haha I could go on and on.

9. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Wow, I've been into Pink Floyd since my school days in the 70's, loved the Smashing Pumpkins in the 90's and my two favourite 'more current' bands are Radiohead and Muse; and to think that I never realised I was into space rock. Next time I see Ed O'Brien I will have to let him know that he's in a space rock band!

10. fugot

fugot Member

sweet ax--congrats
    peace mike

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

Big fan!! Just recently learned of Thornton while doing some websurfing. I really love his those goldtop Blues Queen, but your's is absolutely stunning as well.

12. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Thanks. I'm pretty much knocked out with the Jazz Elite and have just put in an order for a Professional with a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard.

13. lfyost

lfyost Member

Hello from the owner of the newly received #57 from the December batch. I'm pleased to see this thread. I'm new here and relativly new to the world of electric guitar, just a couple of years at it after a couple of decades in the world of acoustics. I'm in west central Wisconsin, play in a folk/classic rock cover band for fun (and a little profit) and enjoy all things guitar related. I certainly agree with the sentiments expressed above. Alanbass1, what a great looking jazz elite. BuddyPo', I love the quilted top. I wish the pix of your guitar were still posted. Layne

14. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Great to hear from you Layne. That #57 you have sure looks good. Copy some of the pictures over and post it in this thread (that's what I did with my #63). It's only been a week but I'm just asonished by just how good this guitar really is. Hey, by the end of the year the Thornton user community should hit 100!!!

15. lfyost

lfyost Member

Alan,

I'm not figuring out the method to post pictures/images.

If you can do the same for my #57 as you did for yours, I'd appreciate it.

Layne

16. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Sorted - here's #57:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. lfyost

lfyost Member

Thanks, Alan.
    Now everyone can see why we exclaim as we do.
    Layne

18. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I was just looking at their website... beautiful guitars! I like that wild neck joint "cutaway" too.
    It's a shame the back is spoiled by that cover plate.

19. B Vance

B Vance Member

Just curious...

Does anyone ever see CP's come up used? If so what are they fetching?

20. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Seen one on flea bay that was not being sold via CP Thornton (he seems to use this as an outlet) and the price it went for was $2450. It was an elite with a stop tailpiece and looked like a 4A top and back with chrome fittings, so pretty much what you could order for around $3k new.