C vintage medium neck 11-14 rad Suhr

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by neastguy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

this might be hard to do, but I'm trying to get a guage for what this neck feels like.... I'ved owned a silo, fender 91 ultra strat and currently have a 80 LP custom... I never liked the strat neck that much felt a bit big to me, the lp neck fits my hand better and the silo being the smallest had zero problems with it.... can anyone give me an idea where this size neck may fall ...

c vintage med 11-14 rad 1.65 nut ? suhr...

2. Paychek

Paychek Member

I was recently shipped a Suhr classic with a C vintage medium with a 1.65 nut with a 10-14" radius with maple fretboard and I really dig this neck. I have played quite a few strats in my days, but this surh classic with this neck is the best I've played. The stainless jumbo frets and the light satin finish make it a dream to play, has a nice broken in feel that some of those old played hard for years strats are known for. I like a neck with a little extra meat on the backside to grab onto. I have kinda smallish hands, but not a prob at all. My other guitar is a Tom Anderson standard carve on the neck with 1 11/16 nut and it feels allot slimmer on the backside of the neck, but not in a bad way.
    The Suhr neck is a pleasure to play...very comfy!!
    Hope this helps
    Just my 2 cents.
    Mikey

3. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I have the exact same neck - 1.65

THE MOST PERFECT NECK EVER.

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've played even C's, slim C', big V's, etc.... I'm not too picky on neck shapes and sizes, but I will say that I haven't played a Suhr neck that I didn't like!

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Call Suhr or Ed directly... they will gladly give you the answers to your question!

6. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Neastguy-

It'll feel a lot like your silhouette with a slightly wider nut. I've got 2 suhr even C slims (.800-.880 taper), 1.65" nuts. I ordered an EB neck carve for my upcoming classic, including a 1.625 nut. The taper depth dimensions of the even C (.840-.920) are very similar to the EB silo (.825-.920).

By all means call suhr for advice; they'll be happy to talk you through it and can cut a neck with just about ANY dimensions.

hope this helps.

Gary

7. neastguy

so it looks like I'd be better of with a slim C with a 1 5/8 neck...800-880 taper... that would get in closer to the silo neck...

thanks Gary

8. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Neastguy-

Actually the even c MEDIUM with a true 1-5/8" (1.625") nut is closer to the EB neck's depth. Having said that, Neastguy, call Suhr and take their advice to get it right... Ed or John will be happy to help you and they're both easy to talk to.

Best,

Gary

9. neastguy

so your going with a classic with a 1 5/8 with a even C ? if so when do you get it?

10. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Neastguy-

Suhr actually has an EBMM neck carve on file. The taper dimensions are .825-.920. I had them make the nut a little narrower to the correct EBMM size of 1.625 instead of the usual 1.650. Yes, i ordered it on a Classic which I'm told will be shipped in early November. EBMM necks are my favorite carve and I'll be thrilled if my new classic FEELS like my Albert Lee but SOUNDS like my current Suhr classic.

Gary

11. neastguy

thanks...... let me know how you like it when you get it, also shoot me some pics.... what color did you get?

12. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

I'll be happy to. Mercedes blue with one pc. maple with a vintage tint. SSC V60lp's. Nothing too fancy. Good luck in nailing down your specs.

Best,
    Gary

13. neastguy

sounds nice... BTW the browns are beatin the Ravens......ah..had to throw that in.....