C3000 mod, remove pop filter?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by drive-south, Apr 17, 2008.

1. drive-south

drive-south Member

The following review of the AKG C3000 is from Harmony Central:
    I found it interesting as I own 2 of these mics myself. Should I try this mod?

drive-south

Reviewer Background [​IMG]:

I've been making and recording music for over 15 years with everythgin from an old Session 8 PC to an Ensoniq PARIS system (that I still use and love). I own a bunch of mics, and I've sold off a few that I didn't like (like the Studio Projects C1)

Overall Rating [​IMG]: 10

This is an absolute gem of a mic if you are willing to make a slight and simple modification to it.

Akg sold this as a stage mic, so it has a rather thick pop filter glued in front of both the small and the large diaphragms behind the grill. If you carefully disassemble the mic, the foam can be removed, making the mic much more open sounding.

******I accept no responsibility for dammage to your mic if you try this****, but I've done it to both of mine without any trouble.

Once this is done, you have an incredible mic! It has a large and a small diaphragm that are summed together in cardioid mode, which gives this mike a unique best-of-both-worlds quality. It has no where near as bright as a Studio Projects C1, so you'll have to boost 12k in the mix, but the solid lows and mids will blow away anything out there for less that $1000. The double diaphragm makes this mic more directional, too, which is a good thing if you are recording in a small room (like most project studios).

I have a Neumann 103, an Audio Technica 4050, and several small diaphragm mikes, and I like my modified pair of these best overall. They are especially good on acoustic guitar.

2. isfahani

isfahani Member

Why not?

That review is a bit funny thou, as I would be willing to bet that there's a dozen other LDC's on the market in the same price range or cheaper that would meet or beat the 3000, mod or not...