CA OD100 amps ..Which Model?....very confusing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hi Guys

I know this has been spoken about in depth and have had a look thru past posts.......But there still isn't any real clarity for me on the different models and the extra controls

There is the Std+
    There is the Std SE
    There is the Std SE+
    There is the classic and the classic Plus.
    There is also the SH Mod for the clean channel which I am aware of it's function.
    How much gain does the Classic + have compared to a bogner Shiva for instance?

Can someone please explain or cut and paste in detail what the specific diffs are.
    I can never try these amps out so will have to go on clips and all the info you guys can give up

Much thanks
    Rick

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

What are you looking for? The Std and Classic don't exist anymore, except used. They are all the "plus" models now. The Suhr site explains it pretty well, I think.

SE + = High gain - tons if it, in fact.
    Classic + = More of a plexi era sound
    Std + = Somewhere in between

All share the same - absolutely stunning - clean channel.

4. tuubes

tuubes Member

Pretty sure Alan is the one to talk to! As a pro modder and builder, i sure like it when someonee talks to me @ the gear i do for them!

respectfully, james

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

The OP meant CAA not Carol Ann.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hey, I just ordered a Classic Plus myself. It should be here sometime around the 1st of March. I am so stoked!!

Here is what John told me when I asked the same question.

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thats not true.
    I don't know where you got that from, but you can order any of them.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oh, I got that from my own assumption since the non-plus models aren't on his site anymore. My mistake. Didn't realize you could still order the older version.

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Quote:
    The OD100 Classic has the same amount of gain stages, but it has a lot less gain than the Shiva, but more low end in the single notes. Now the Classic Plus has more gain than the Shiva, including more lows in the single notes, but the same number of gain stages. The other OD100's have 1 more gain stage when boosted mode so they are more saturated but they still obtain more low end than the Shiva.

That is very useful to know because I have a Bogner shiva.

So what is the general consensus....
    Classic plus or HE+ or std +

I won't be able to try the amp.
    I'm in South Africa......
    I have a Bogner Shiva and a Budda sd80 so maybe looking for a bit more gain than these two amps......
    Would the classic plus just be more of the same with more gain..
    Or would the he+ be a better animal to compliment my stock

Thanks Guys
    Rick

10. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this because as the OP stated, the info is not all that easy to find.

First of all, I believe that the "SH" mod to the clean channel is now standard on all amps.

As for the different models, they have different power sections that make them different. The Standard+ and SE+ still use the 5881 (6L6) power section that gives them a tighter, more modern sound than the Classics, which have a EL34 power section. However, the tightness is adjustable using the "Feedback" knob on the amp. The clean channel is also going to be different because of the different power sections, though every review I've read has users saying the cleans on the Classics are still great.

The Standard+ is Suhr's traditional high gain with incredible clean channel amp... The SE+ is very similar but with insane gain... The Classic is like the best sounding modded Plexi you've ever heard... The Classic+ is the same with higher gain.

I recently sent my SH/SE to Suhr to get updated... The SE had more gain than I would ever use, and I'd heard the updates in the last couple years were huge improvements to the amps. I was planning on going with the Classic+, but when I talked to John and explained the kind of music I play (heavy rock somewhere between Sabbath and Neurosis) he talked me into going with the Standard+ because he didn't think the Classic+ would have enough gain for me.

I haven't heard the Shiva side by side with any of these, but I'm thinking the Classics would be a little redundant... They would be a little different (and better IMO) but not enough to justify having a second amp. The Standard+ and SE+ however are going to be much different amps with much more gain.

11. Ricker

Ricker Member

Great thanks......some nice info here that I can use

12. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I played the CLassic Plus (landeau's amp of choice) head to head with a Bogner Ecstasy for an hour, back and forth - and I have to say that while both having an evenly distributed amount of compression, the ODC+ shined a little more. I don't know how much gain someone actually needs, but with the ODC+, we hit Pantera pretty much on the head with the treb dialed all the way up, the mids all the way down, and the bass at 5 o clock. . . With that being said, I STILL went with the OD100SE+ and it should arrive in a few weeks. I've played the Shiva quite a bit, and both the XTC and the SHiva are amazing amps, but both are quite different from the OD100. I mainly ran the XTC plexi channel around the OD100's gain channel, and for the mark the OD100 is the tone I have been looking for. But I'm sure that Bogner 'woodiness' plexi will call my name sooner or later. As many tone hounds suggest, buy both of them. . .

That being said, the Shiva's much cheaper than the OD100. . .

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

Don't forget the fantastic cleans you get, as well. People often focus on the overdrive (makes sense since it's the distinguishing feature of the various models), but the cleans you can get out of this amp are just as amazing as the dirty channel.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

No, you have to special order that.

15. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Why guess?? Just send John or Ed Yoon and email. I never understood why people don't contact the mfg directly. John and Ed will be able to answer your questions the best since, after all, they are the mfg.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

True, thats what I did, but I looked for additional information as well.

17. Ricker

Ricker Member

Yes

I like to find all the info I can .........and then go with that info to the MFGs.......At least you're able to offer better insight into what you're after before you start ringing up a huge ph bill from overseas....he he

Rick

18. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

True, but you can always e-mail Ed Yoon or John himself.
    johnsuhr@surhguitars.com

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think I understand it. The responses telling the original poster to "just go to the website" or "contact the makers"....I think the point is not just that the models are confusing but the person wants unbiased (or customer biased...both ways) information to narrow down the choices, and to understand if there are issues.

And that would be perfectly suited to this forum. Sometimes we are too quick to tell folks to "do a search" too here, though I understand it, but people want fresh info, or just plain MORE viewpoints, to help narrow down.

I tended (I really wish they hadn't sold out to MF) and still to some degree check out the Harmony Central User Reviews. a lot of good information there and sometimes warnings that one shouldn't take too seriously, but that can give a person a good idea what to watch out for...etc.
    Lot of good info in among the "it sucks" or "it rocks" responses.

I can't contrinute, as I never played a CAE amp yet.

It IS a good idea to contact the makers when they are contactable, and don't mind helping guide a customer to the right choice, but
    I think a LOT of the fun of new purchases is actually doing the research, which would include asking folk here what they experience, or
    opinions.

20. jimo

jimo Supporting Member

I own a Standard and an SE (neither are the + versions). One of the great things about these amps IMO is that in a way they overlap in the range of sounds you can get from them between models (although they are all voiced differently). For example my Standard can get into the high gain territory of my SE (granted not as much) and my SE with the gain turned down (say at 3 or 4) can get in the territory of my Standard with a mid/high gain setting. I have not heard a Classic in person but I would bet with the right settings I could get "some" of the same sounds with my Standard (gain turned down obviously). My point is Suhr's amps are very flexible - don't think that just cause the SE does an amazing 80's metal sounds thats all its good at. Hope that helps.