CA to Minneapolis Part Deux

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Medgeking, May 2, 2016.

1. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

Well, it's looking pretty likely that we will be moving our little family to the Twin Cities in the next 6-12 months. I'm hoping to get some advice on neighborhoods to consider moving into. My wife and I are both 36 years old and we have a 3 year old daughter and 18 month old son.

I went out for my first visit about a month ago and spent 3 days checking out the area. I really liked what I saw.

I visited the following areas:

Seward
    Excelsior
    Wayzata
    Hopkins
    Saint Louis Park
    Uptown
    Edina
    Saint Paul (up and down Grand & Summit)

Our priorities are the following:

Good schools
    Walkability (restaurants, groceries, parks)
    Family friendly neighborhoods
    Somewhat progressive culture

We'd like to be in Minneapolis, Saint Paul or within the first ring suburbs. I enjoyed Seward for the central location, co-op grocery store, Montessori school and closeness to the Mississippi. We both like what we've seen of Saint Paul (Mac Groveland in particular). We also like the areas around lakes Harriet and Calhoun. Saint Louis Park and Hopkins are high on the list as well.

So, please weigh in with your thought, opinions, suggestions, etc.

PS: I went to Twin Town (awesome shop) and Willies American Guitars (also an awesome shop).

2. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I would focus on the Edina area. Great schools, good proximity to airport, great amenities in the area. Although I live on the west coast now, I lived in St Louis Park, Plymouth and the Wayzata area for many years. As much as I like the Mac Groveland area, as well as various areas in Minneapolis, you can't beat Edina or Wayzata schools. Wayzata is just a little too far from the airport for me, but the Lake Minnetonka vibe is nice. If you want walkability in Edina, the 50th and France area is where you want to be.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I live in the Summit Hill neighborhood of St. Paul(east of Mac Groveland), It has everything you're looking for. We live a couple blocks off Grand, right across the street from my daughter's school and about 4 blocks from the grocery store. when we were looking for schools to send our daughter, we probably went to 5 different options in the area and were very impressed with all of them.

Last night we walked down Grand to get some ice cream, stopped in a few shops and got mother's day gifts and on the way home stopped at a nice restaurant, sat out on the patio and had some beverages and appetizers. My wife and I bought our "starter home" here 13 years ago with no intention of raising a family there, but i don't think we'll ever move unless we find the right thing in the neighborhood. The people we bought our house from moved 3 doors down, the people they bought theirs from moved 2 blocks down on the same street... We love the neighborhood, and we have great neighbors for the most part. My wife commented that walking around in our neighborhood is like being on vacation. Good Luck with the move!

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

All of those areas seem pretty good to me. I've lived close to the Summit Hill area and that is pretty sweet. Seward has become popular in the past 5 years or so and there are all kinds of cool restaurants popping up. MIL lives close so we go there quite often

5. Medgeking

Medgeking Member

What's MIL?

6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Mother in law.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Highland park area is pretty sweet too. That's kind of near Willies... Saint Paul side of the river

8. Flying_V1968

Flying_V1968 Member

Wife and I lived in Roseville for many years. Nice central location and good neighborhoods. We could walk to Rainbow for groceries and Como Park was a short drive away. We don't have kids so I can't comment directly on the school system but the neighbors usually had positive remarks.

Good luck with your move!

PS if you need a luthier check out John Brown and the guys at Brown's Guitar Factory in Inver Grove. I had then make a custom for me. They do phenomenal work.

9. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

When I was working in the twin cities I stayed near Eden Prairie. Always thought it was a nice place.

10. BMX

BMX Member

It really depends on how urban you want it to feel, what you want to spend and how long of a commute you want. Of the ones you listed (IMO)

Edina has the best schools but is the most expensive ($450k plus for starter homes)
    Wayzata has great schools but is probably a 45min commute to Minneapolis and further for St. Paul, 394 often is a parking lot
    Hopkins and St. Louis park have areas where you can get a decent house for probably $350-$375k and being within walking distance of shops. House stock is often old and needs a lot of repair
    Uptown-I wouldn't raise kids there unless you don't mind drunk 20 year olds yelling as they walk home from the bars
    Excelsior-great town but too far away unless you're working from home
    St. Paul-quaint but overpriced and more geared toward parents than kids
    Seward-they've been talking about this as an up and coming area for 10-15 years, probably more inexpensive than other places you've mentioned

Ones you didn't mention but might want to consider
    Richfield-Has changed a lot in the last 15 years, a lot of development, close to Mpls (just south, first ring). It's in the process of switching from Seniors to young families starting the last 10 years. Schools are probably on the upswing but still a question mark. Houses a lot cheaper than Edina or some of the other places. Can get a starter for $200k.

West Bloomington- Great schools and home to the Hyland Park area which is probably the biggest nature area this close to the cities, trails, xx skiing, parks etc. (Bloomington is the 3rd largest city in the state so different parts have different feels to them). Just south of Edina, less expensive. Less of an urban feel which may not be what you want.

T Dizz likes this.