CAA OD-100: HELP with dialing in smoother tone!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by visualrocker69, Jun 4, 2008.

1. visualrocker69

visualrocker69 Member

First impressions... love the cleans, not sure about ch. 2. It's very punchy and articulate, perhaps not the voicing I was looking for. I don't know if it needs a retube but it doesn't suffice in the high gain department. Other vids I've seen of the std. version confirm this. It sounds kinda EVH-ish but more ballsy.

I've read here on the Gear Page some say it requires a good od/boost on top for more saturated/fluid soloing, and that people like me should've been looking into the SE+ version instead of the std to begin with. I'll definately play around with it a bit more, but after that I think I'm going to be looking for an SE+.

One question... can anyone give me any settings that would yield a smoother tone similar to Rob Marcello's leads? According to the website he used a standard version on "Too Many Notes". I just can't seem to dial out that crunchy aggression!!!

I'm using a PRS Cu24 with HFS/VB pickups... just got it recently, so I'm not too familiar with the pickups. Maybe I should look into different ones? Other gear... Mesa 4x12 std recto cab (now called Stilleto) and a G-Major in the loop. Used to have a Fulltone FD2+mosfet 10th anniversary but sold it because I'm looking for a BB Preamp.

Thanks!

2. billybling

billybling Member

My friend has one of these. It never gets turned on any more. Its too harsh.

3. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Sold mine for the exact same reason.

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

This was my exact sentiment as well. If this amp got a smoother, more compressed mid-honk in boost mode, it would be game over for me, as the clean channel was just great!

5. Structo

Structo Member

Couldn't the guy who built it tune it to your likes?

6. samhill

samhill Member

The SE+ is very smooth and fluid.

I would try a boost type box like a Zakk O/D, MXR Microamp, MXR/CAE Boost. Set the gain high(6 or 7) and run any of the above at about 12 o'clock.

I have never tried the Standard only the Classic, Classic+ and I own the SE+.....best amp I've ever had or tried.

There are a few different models the Standard +, Classic, Classic + and the SE+. They all have different voicings for different styles and tastes. As far as I know they can all be tweaked and or upgraded from existing or previous versions.

Why don't you just send John Suhr an email or give him a call, the guy has always gone above and beyond. I'm sure he would love to "tweak" it for your tastes. Their customer support is awesome!!!

Mark

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  7. gregc

gregc Member

VR69, I felt exactly the same way about mine. Great amp that just wasn't for me. Gotta say it, the clean was a 'dream'!

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

i think the SE+ is the smoothest, but its a hot rodded marshall. It is also very touch sensitive and dosnt hide any flaws in your playing. i think that guys here think amps will make them play smoother when they mean sound smoother.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

From your description, the older SE (no plus) model would be the most to your liking. They came stock with 5881s, not EL34s. It was smoother & rounder sounding than the newer "+" version. I like both personally for different reasons, so it depends on your needs and wants.

Also definitely contact John Suhr directly. Very customer friendly and he will get you where you want to go.

10. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

SE+ can be super smooth but can have the VH upper mid bite if desired. Can have the low mids with top rolled off ala bogner Ecstasy but can get Uberschall like if dialed in that way.Can do many, many things and that is all in the lead channel. The Cleans are as good as they get. The amp is way different than the original CAE OD100 which I had in the 90's. That amp was bright and harsh IMHO. The new ones kill and the SE+ with whomp switch and variable feedback and new presence voice make this amp a killer.

11. visualrocker69

visualrocker69 Member

From what I understand, although EL34 is the default for SE+, he can make it come with 5881's and not the plexi transformer either. There are more improvements with the SE+ from the SE than just the type of tubes.

As for mine, it has 6L6's. So that's not the problem.

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

If any of you that have an SE plus have not tried this- you are iin for a treat.

Whomp switch full up position, feedback knob all the way to the right facing amp (0), darkest setting, presence knob on front way up between 8 and 10, other knobs to taste . Good stuff and worth trying if you want a very cool and different sound out of the amp.

13. samhill

samhill Member

This is my favorite setting!!! I use this all the time now, especially live with two Mesa 4x12"s. It was John Suhr that suggested this setting on a forum somewhere and I checked it out. I was pretty close to it anyway but almost felt guilty about the Whomp on full and Presence on full...until I tried it. I've used it ever since...guilt free.

This setting makes the amp incredibly pick responsive and hyper active. This past weekend when we played, my tone was just the best, I couldn't believe it was me playing :)

Mark

14. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

I agree. Just killer. I use a Bogner 4X12 straight and it matches up perfectly with this amp.

15. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I should be getting mine today or tomorrow, be sure to try it out! AWESOME!

16. billybling

billybling Member

Imagine a mitten with razor blades attached to the finger tips. Now, use that mitten to scratch your eardrums while cranking the clean channel. Thats what it was like for me.

17. visualrocker69

visualrocker69 Member

^ Same. I was beginning to think there's something wrong with me.

The ONLY way I can get rid of that abrasive tone is by turning the Presence COMPLETELY OFF! But then it sounds all distant and bleak :/

Well it turns out that I have an old OD-100 standard which was made under Bob Bradshaw. I'm sending it to Suhr soon for the full package upgrade... SE+/plexi transformer/EL34. It'll cost me $500.

I am REALLY hoping that I love it after the upgrade because it'd be a pretty bad hit if I don't and have to sell it. Not the end of the world, but you know. *holds breath* I got faith in Suhr's work though!

18. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

+1 The OD I tried was just plain bad bad bad on the grain channel. All in all Ive heard amps that people here would never admit to owning sounding much better.

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I'm surprised about the harsh comments for the OD-100s, but mine is a Classic, so I guess the early ones were really a lot different. The clean channel on mine is far from harsh.

20. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

The new amps are tonally far apart from ones made even 2 years ago. The SE+ is real smooth. I hate bright amps and fizzy lead tones. I love this amp.