CAA OD-100 SE+ and NOS tubes - a good match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by justonwo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

Has anyone ever tried NOS preamp tubes in the SE+? Being a modern, high-gain amp, I thought it might be more compatible with modern production tubes. Has anyone had success with NOS? What combinations did you like?

2. myles111

myles111 Member

I would not bother at all. Save your money

These are modern amps designed around current production tubes with a lot of stuff in the front end signal path.

You want to reap the benefit of NOS grab something like a Fender tweed deluxe.

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

Why not ask John Suhr. He'll know better than anybody.

4. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

Try asking at the Suhr amp forum. It's at http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/ under Amp Talk. There's a bunch of guys on there that have played around with all different preamp tubes. But from what I've read, different ones only made a slight difference... Maybe enough to experiment with modern tubes, but not enough to dump a bunch of cash into NOS stuff. Please report any experiences you have though, as I'm interested in doing that too!

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

I've been pretty happy with modern tubes in the past. I just wanted to float the question out of curiosity. I have a few NOS tubes with no home right now. I might give it a whirl.