1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

CAA od 100 vs. Bogner Exctasy (All models)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wire 247, Feb 14, 2006.

1. wire 247

wire 247 Member

Trying to make up my mind between these 2, any opinions would be helpful........ I would use either one for everything from modern crunchy rock to classic and southern rock to blues to funk. thanks

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

the first big question to ask yourself is how important cleans are to you...if you put alot of emphasis on cleans the ecstasy is going to be severely disadvantaged (even the ecstasy classic) against the OD-100 which excels at cleans and boosted cleans.

If cleans are not that important to you, then you'll have to figure out 1) what kind of gain you want and 2) if your willing to pay $1000 for extra versatility that the ecstasy gives you.

When you know what kind of gain you need, you'll be closer to understanding which incarnation of the OD-100 (stock, SH, SE, Classic, 50 watter vs 100) you'll need...and you'll also understand if your be satisfied with a 2 channel amp with a footswitchable boost, vs. a 3 channel amp with 3 footswitchable boosts...

Other factors will also come into play but at the outset I would at least start with the above consideration to see where I stood, and whether that pruned the ecstasy from consideration immediately.

Good luck..they are both awesome amps...

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The CAE is a hard act to follow. Having said that, after narrowing it down to two amps CAE and Fuchs, I'll probably end up with the Fuchs.

4. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

The Bogner Clean is very Tweedy / compressed which I like .:BluesBros

5. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

I'm probably not qualified to compare the two, not having played the Bogner. But I just picked up an OD100 SH, and I will tell you that the cleans and pushed cleans flat out blew me away. They are bigger, fuller and richer than anything else I own (Two Rock, Fuchs, Carr).

From the OD tones I've been able to find and all the Al Estrada / Scott Henderson stuff I've heard, the OD handles as broad a range as I'd ever need on the OD side of the fence too.

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

You could do what I did...buy both. Then you can take as much time as you want to compare them side-by-side. Once you make your choice, dump the one you liked the least. Warning: if you are like me, you may not find it in you to part with either of them and this will not make your wife very happy! I flip flop back and forth on these two amps so much it might just come down to a flip of the coin.

A thread detailing my personal shootout between these two amps is forthcoming.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i played both and i liked the bogner better.

8. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Wire247, check your PM.

9. wire 247

wire 247 Member

thanks for the opinions, anybody else have one?

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

CAE OD100.

I've played almost every version of the XTC (101b, 100b, Classic) and I just liked the sound of the OD100 much better. The XTC never really sounded much like any Marshall to me. Marshallesque at best... maybe. The Bogner has a much dark/mushier/lower mid voicing, which while cool sounding for some leads, it just doesn't work well for much else.

The OD100 has a far, far superior clean channel, and the lead channel sounds much more like a modified JCM800 2203. The OD100 cuts much better in a live band. The sound is voiced more in the upper mids, overall souneds more articulate. The XTC moreorless gets lost in a live mix vs. the OD100. If you're looking for Fender cleans & Marshall crunch from one box, the OD100 is hard to beat. If you're looking for something different altogether, checkout the XTC.

YMMV.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

Wiz knows I totally respect his opinion. He may not be at all wrong with his statement about the OD being better in a band mix but I don't think he is trying to leave the impression that the Ecstasy doesn't sit well in a mix. I'm sure he just means that for him the OD-100 cuts better. Wizard, you are welcome to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I have two friends (one of them is TGPer 'fewmm') that are in a band together and both have the 101b. One of them is a bit older and darker than the other but both sound great in their mix. These guys have been Marshall players from way back and they both have excellent ears. (A while back, fewmm had about 10 Marshall JCM800s at one time trying to find the perfect Marshall sound and ultimately ended up with the XTC.) Their sound engineer (who's been doing it for decades now so he knows what he's doing) doesn't even touch the channel EQ at the mixer for either guitar channel. They sound damn near studio perfect live. They do mostly covers and don't get overly heavy but they do play stuff like Alterbridge and Judas Priest and pull it off fantastically. So I wouldn't come away from his post thinking the Ecstasy doesn't fall into a band mix well. Just that Wiz thinks the OD-100 does it better.

That all said, I'm still leaning toward the OD-100 right now. Some of the reasons are ones that Wiz mentioned (better clean channel, more of a modded Marshall tone for leads). I don't know what kind of tones you are looking for but Wiz is a bloodhound for high gain and has gone through some great high gain heads. So like I said, I totally respect his opinions. Like he said, Your Mileage May Vary.

12. Wizard of Ozz

Pretty much. I think the OD100 just works better for me. I'm also a big Marshall fan (I still own 2 '67 SLPs & '83 800/2203) and the OD100 just is voiced closer to what I think a classic Marshall lead channel should sound like.

I also know people who swear by the XTC and I've heard plenty of great recordings, songs, CDs, etc made with the XTC that I think sound great. It's just that in a live mix, for what I play, the OD100 works better for me.

And as always YMMV. ;) :)

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

My mileage does not vary at all. that's dead on.

14. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I agree too. The Wiz knows.

15. Wizard of Ozz

Thanks guys.
    :BEER

16. wire 247

wire 247 Member

17. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Which OD-100 model do you have? Is it stock or SE/SH modded or EL34'd? I'm considering an OD-100 or even a OD-50 and your descriptions of the 2 channels have really peaked my interest.

18. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i played the caa od100 again and it was nice but i still liked the darker more compressed sounding xtc better.

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I owned a 101B and had nothing but drama's with it. Ended up selling it and replacing with an OD-100...best amp i've owned, and i've owned a lot!! :)
    Believe the hype...it's all the best blackface cleans and pimped marshall tones available. The only problem i can see is...do you get the classic, standard, SH/SE, EL34's or 6L6's...plexi trannie or stock one?? :) Decisions, Decisions...

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Just curious, why no Guytron FV100? Great clean tone and distortion definitely in the same league as these amps.