CAA OD100 classic plus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Now these supposedly dont have lots of gain, but I have heard that about the shiva and thought there was enough gain on that.

I usually run my soldano slo100 drive on 5 and the bonger xtc red channel with boost engaged around 6

Is the OD100 classic plus achieve close to that?

I thought he Od 100 standard i tried had plenty of gain and I had the gain on 6.

I definitely dont want the top gain to be like a plexi at top gain?

2. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I don't think so. The Classic series have significantly less gain than the other models. It definitely doesn't have as much gain as an SLO or XTC red channel. When I was deciding whether to have my OD-100 updated to Classic + or Standard + specs, John talked me into getting the Standard + because he didn't think the Classic had enough gain for the Sabbath type stuff I'm playing... And that's not really all that much gain. The Standard + and the SE + will have all the gain you'll ever need though.

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I thought the Classic + had plenty of gain for most rock applications. Metal, maybe you want to look elsewhere... but before John did the PT100 amp for me the Classic + was my favorite in the OD100 lineup.

Landau sure sounds amazing with his- saw him on Saturday, man what a tone.

4. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I mean,will I get steve vai level of saturation out of the classic + by itself. Not looking for metal tones. I guess how would it be compared to a Bogner shiva less or more gain. I dont really need the gain of a SE+ but I want a gain level that would maybe equal the standard + when its gain is on 6

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The Classic plus with the boost engaged through a humbucker guitar has a good amount of gain. You mentioned Steve Vai, well he uses a boost pedal for his solos. If your wanting that style of stuff, say Vai, Satch or Van Halen, then I would probably go the Standard +. The Classic + can do most rock applications and even some Van Halen, but it's not as compressed as the super thick lead thing some people want. Then again, most guys that get that sound use some kind of booster in front of a good dynamic Marshall sounding amp.

6. Oddos

Oddos Member

Lots of gain, but a very different character from those other amps. Lots of hair on all frequencies, which seems a bit unusual if you`re not used to it(which smight sound like more gain to some), but in a band context it`s really useful. Lets more of your whole tone cut through.

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

The Suhr CAA OD-100 Classic Plus is a great platform and very versatile in conjunction with a few pedals or a pedalboard.I have been very satisfied with mine for quite sometime now!