CAA OD100 SE+ owners.... chime in please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dale661, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dale661

dale661 Member

I was looking through YouTube and saw Mark Day's videos of his SE+. I fell in love with the tones he was getting. The main thing I want to know is how is the amp voiced throughout the whole spectrum from Lows to Highs. Where are the peaks in the frequency? How does it feel? Is it loose and gooey? Is it real tight and stiff feeling? Is it something in between?

I like amplifiers that have a little give to them in regard to the feel. Anyway, I'm just a bit curious about these amplifiers. I'm thinking about picking one up.

I appreciate any comments you guys may have.

Dale

2. dale661

dale661 Member

Bump... Anyone? :(

3. R.D.

R.D. Member

Dale661,

I probably shouldn’t answer because I’ve actually just sent my SE+ back out to John because mine was one of the first ground-up SE+’s that he did, and he did some things in my Amp that he immediately changed for the other production models …. Consequently my build was significantly “darker” sounding than Mark’s.

So, I won’t answer the tone questions. But I will give you my opinion on the feel of the amp ….

How about, all of the above ! Between the Feedback control and the Whomp switch you can get close to just about any “feel” you’d like. When I first got the amp, I was using only 25 watt Greenbacks and I dialed down the feedback and turned down the Whomp, the amp felt decently loose. Eventually I moved on to a combination of Celestion Golds and G-65’s … That, in and of itself tightened things up a great deal. Just before I sent the amp back to John, I had the Feedback almost neutral and the Whomp was either in the middle or full on, depending on the volume I could use.

I don’t have the right hand skills that Mark does, so I need the amp to be just a little more forgiving and it just works ! I’m able to play a little more legato stuff and get away with it. The Amp is one of the most responsive that I’ve ever played !

Good Luck !

4. dale661

dale661 Member

Thanks, R.D.! I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out. After you get the amp back, let me know what you think about the tone.

Dale

5. samhill

samhill Member

The amp does just about anything you want it to do. I get chunky tight rhythms and big open chord tones as well as singing creamy single notes. It is very responsive to touch and gtr vol changes. I personally don't find the amp stiff at all, just the opposite. I can't say how much I dig this amp. Ch1 is the best clean tone I've ever had, Ch2 kills!

I wish you could hear my rig in person, because the videos don't do it justice.
    This amp is FUN!! Sometimes I can't believe it's me playing, very inspiring. I get so many good comments about my live tone.
    My bass player is always telling me he can't believe how good the OD100 sounds.

Feel free to ask any questions. But I'm very biased, I really dig this amp!

Mark

6. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I'd say it's somewhere in between as far as feel goes. You can definitely change the feel of it...the knobs actually work!

I don't know if this is your style but my band put up a vid of 'High Wire':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6Q-L9j5Yw

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

ya, what the others said- on these amps, you can drastically alter the feel, using primarialy the feedback control. It's really awesome. Sounds good both ways- tighter, punchier and more modern, or with more sag and give, or anywhere in between. Mine's not the SE+, but it has the same controls.

8. dale661

dale661 Member

I know I'm about 5 days late, but better late than never. :) Anyway, I appreciate you guys taking the time to give "the skinny" on this amplifier. It definitely sounds like something I'm going to be interested in purchasing here in the next few months. I'm not in a hurry right now because I'm waiting on something else to be completed, but the OD100 SE+ definitely sounds promising.

I might also pick up an OD100 Classic + at the beginning of the year as well. I've also looking into something that does clean and older Marshall, but capable of doing a hot-rod sound.

John Suhr and the gang have something great happening and I'm glad that this company exists. I'm excited and it gives me something to look forward to over the next 6 months.

Again, I thank all of you for replying in this thread.

Dale