CAA OD100 Update....A huge eye opener!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blueser, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well.....Shoe was gracious enough to spend some time with me at his rehearsal space to compare my OD100SH amp to his OD100 with the 3+SE mod on the lead channel.

We plugged in Shoe's amp first. The clean was noticeably brighter than the SH, and had a sweet bounce. I think both clean channels are excellent, so it just depends on what you like, or need at any given time. I would probably like to have the bright switch function as a switch to go between the SH mode, and stock clean. It would probably be more useful for me this way.

The OD channel was the real eye opener for me. The 3+SE mod sounded thick but more modern to my ears than the stock version. Very cool, and harmonically complex, with a raging amount of gain, if that's what your after. When we plugged mine in to compare, I was completely floored!!!! It sounded incredible, and although it had similar amounts of gain if you set it that way, it had a more old school soul to it. So then why did I like my amp so much more all of a sudden? THE SPEAKERS!!!!!!!!

Pete had a closed back Mesa 2x12 (with V30s) in his rehearsal space and it sounded really incredible with my amp. I played my OD100SH through either a Germino 4x12 with GBs and G12H30s, or an open back Germino 2x12 w/G12H30s. Both of these cabinets seemed bright and almost harsh with the OD100 (though they sound incredible with my Constellation)! It's as though this amp was meant for the V30s that were loaded in Pete's cab.

Well....I am going to hold off on modding the amp, and try some different speakers (either V30s or Governors) and just put the closed back panel on one of my Germino 2x12s. I know that speakers make a pretty big difference, but this was astounding.

BTW....Pete (Shoe) is a smoking guitarist that really made the amps sing yesterday. Thanks again Pete!!! I appreciate it!

B

2. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Cool.
    I am just about to pack my Stock OD100 up and send it to John so he can mod it with the 3+SE mod.
    I wanted to smooth out the gain a bit and fatten it up, and John assures me that this mod will do just that.
    I wanted to get a bit more saturation out of the amp and take a little of the hair off it for higher gain settings.
    What amp would you compare the 3+SE mod to if you could?
    Steve

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I think I remember reading somewhere that John voiced that amp with V-30's. YOu might want to check.

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Mine sounds best through my closed back Bogner 2X12 with V30s or Diezel 2X12 with V30s. My 4X12 has V30s and G12 Hs and isn't as smooth or tight as the straight V30s. I love the amp.

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

Really not sure what I could compare the 3+SE mod to, as I am pretty new to the whole high gain master volume thing. It definitiely sounds a bit thicker and sweeter than the Diezel Herbert (thought not quite as versatile) that Pete had there yesterday as well.

One amp that shocked the $h!t out of me yesterday, was a Peavey 5150 II that Pete also had in the room. It was an absolute @$$ kickin' rocker! Honestly, it sounded very similar to the 3+SE mod, but didn't have quite the same harmonic complexity to it, and its clean channel left lots to be desired, but at 1/5th the price.....It was damn good IMO!

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well that would have been helpful information three weeks ago!! :D :cool:

Is your Bog cab the biggum Steve?

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I said it in that other thread and this is more evidence for my viewpoint: V30s absolutely kill with the right amp and cab. While they're not great in all circumstances there are many cases where they're the best speakers around.

8. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Steve, do you have your 4x12 in an X pattern with them or top and bottom?

9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

That's what we've been arguing about in the V30 thread!!! :)

BTW, I think John prefers it with a Greenie loaded 4x12.

10. Steve Snider

Big 2X12.

11. Steve Snider

X Pattern!

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

Steve,

How would you compare that cab tonally to the large sized Germino 2x12?

Thanks,
    B

13. Steve Snider

No clue- rarely played through the Germino cab and would have to listen side by side to do a real comparison.

14. Distortion

Distortion Member

I specifically ask John what speakers he voiced the CAA 100 for, and his reply was Celestion Greenbacks.. He really didn't have a preference as to either 25 or 30 watt speakers.

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

I'm wondering what the amp would sound like with a pair of Eminence Governors in the cab. They are supposed to be an idealized version of the V30. My gut tells me that I should probably just get the real thing, but the Governors intrigue me, as their description fits the tones I am looking for as well.

16. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

I hope to be getting a CAE 2X12 Cab soon to go with my OD 100, and I intend to load it with Eminence Private Jacks.

17. art420guitar

art420guitar Member

i havent liked the CHN 2 lead sound since i got the amp, until last night. i finally took the chassis out and turned the presence all the way down (counter clockwise) and it sounds like a different amp now. so much better. i have an audition with a new band tomorrow night and i have a feeling my Hot Rod Deville (4x10) A/B'd with the OD-100 is gonna smoke.

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Huh? greenies came in 20 and 25 watt variey i thought.

19. kendog

kendog Supporting Member

I get great results with a 1X12 using an X Pattern.:)

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I usually run my 4x12s in a square pattern :)

Yeah, Diezel Herbert loves V30s, didn't like it through other speakers. Always worth a call to find what speakers were used for voicing an amp, for sure.

I find G12H30s harsh in the top end, with certain amps. Plus the 4 I have took forever to break in a bit.