CAA OD100SE+ Cabinet Pairing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lifeson1, Apr 29, 2008.

1. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I have an OD100SE+ coming in the next two weeks, and I was going to punch it through a Dr. Z Z-Best 2X12 cabinet. Any thoughts? The only reason I really ask is that I have a 2x12 Budda Superdrive 30 that I've also used the Z Cab in tandem with, and for some reason I prefer the stock speakers vs. the cab. Strange. Anyhow, just looking for a few opinions.

2. Zootallures

Zootallures Member

I Rock my SE+ through the Engl 4X12 Vintage Cabinet
    with Fantastic Results!!!
    Front Loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's at 8 Ohms.

[​IMG]

3. brent

brent Member

I like the SE+ in a closed back cab with V30's, I'm using the Diamond 2x12, I prefer it to the THD I have.
    With the Classic+ it is the opposite IMO

[​IMG]

4. SealNYC

SealNYC Member

I've paired mine with a Bogner oversized 2x12 closed back with Classic 80's... Love it!
    I've also used it with my Jubilee 4x12 V30's, also great, but I love the Bogner cab

5. lifeson1

Josh lives right now the road from me, really good kid. Played a few Diezel's through an Engl 4x12, sounded VERY nice indeed. GREAT set up. I really wanted to try an Elmwood, too.

6. lifeson1

Great advice, guys. My Z-Best cab is closed back, with Celestion Vintage 30 and Celestion G12H30 - which should work well. . . I don't know what the deal is, but when I pair it up with the Budda Phat 12's, it just 'clashes'. I'm sure that makes sense, splitting everything like that. . . I just never had that problem with my Boogie Roadster running through it. Great set ups, by the way. So many damn options out there. . . That's part of the fun, though.

7. samhill

samhill Member

I'm using two Mesa Rectifier 4x12's with Celestion V30's, love it.

Mark

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Be careful using that G12H30, the SE + has alot of punch and low end,might turn that speaker insideout:eek:.I use my OD 100 standard w/ 2 vintage 30' w/ great results.

9. brent

brent Member

good call, not sure how the H30 would handle the Whomp switch in a closed back cab

10. lifeson1

I will certainly keep that in mind (gulp). What about Bogner 2x12's vs. CAA 2x12's? Sounds like Vintage 30s are the way to go.

11. lifeson1

What kind of differences do you hear in the with the Classic 80's and the V30's?

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The OD100 SE+ might just be my next amp too. I'm considering Heritige 30 watt celestions. Usually I like 25 watt greenbacks for my JCM800, 80 watt celestions for my Soldano Avenger. If I don't need early break up as I won't with the OD100 I like going with speakers that allow the amp to be the amp and the guitars to be the guitars. I've never had the 30 watters. They don't come in too many cabs. The marshall hand wired has em. The 65 amps use them in sone cabs as does Mojave. I'd like to have them in a cab.

13. lifeson1

Would it be pretty easy to rewire a Vintage 30 16 ohm speaker to replace the G12H? If you think I'd be better off just selling it to buy another cabinet, that's fine. But it might be better just to keep this one and pair up another V30 with this one. Thoughts? The cabinet's wired at 8ohms.

14. spazmonkey

spazmonkey Member

I use the od100se+ thru a Zinky 2x12, a genz benz 2x12, or a Koch 4x12. Sounds different thru each cab but still great tone. I usually use the Zinky, its compact and whips some serious booty!