CAA PT100 or Mesa Royal Atlantic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teveinsene, Feb 19, 2012.

1. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Which would you rather have? or any opinions on them. Realize they both offer something different and possibly don't excell at the same sounds but I am not looking for one sound in particular just looking to buy a new channel switching amp that offers high gain. And the price difference is not real important because I would be buying the PT100 used and the prices are real close. And no I don't gig but don't try to talk me out of 100 watts because I can crank my amps loud if I desire in my basement (until things start shaking too much of course) and I'm not real concerned about wisper quiet bedroom volume playing. Would gladly buy a PT50 but the one I'm looking at happens to be 100 watts. I'm not looking to nail one sound just to have something versatile for added fun. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

PT100... everyday. I own a PT100... and I've play the Mesa RA several times. Mesa still needs to work on nailing that famous British amp flavor... the RA is their best effort yet, but still needs some work . The PT100 clean channel and added features really outclass the Mesa RA in every way. Also the PT100 has a great master volume for low-volume playing w/o killing off too much of your tone. Not that same can be said for the RA.

3. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I don't know if I agree that the PT cleans are that much better. Dave Grohl wasn't impressed with them and ended up using a Bandmaster for his chimey cleans. I agree though that the PT does a great early Marshall (1959) gain better than the Mesa. I'm not really sure though that the Mesa could be faulted for that since it isn't trying to mimic a Marshall.

The PT is definitely a faster amp than the RA. The RA has a slight and nice sag to it that some may not prefer. I am highly considering both right now as well and am very torn.

4. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Thanks ozz for the comments, I have seen your review of it, I really like the idea of the feedback knob on the back, does it work pretty good to reduce or increase the sag.

5. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Thanks for the input, I'm not not that concerned how good the cleans are I just want something different to add to the collection. I like the idea of 3 channels on the pt100 with 2 very nice high gain channels. Totally different beast but I've got a mark v now that I love the cleans and love channel three but just like on my previous mark IV I can't stand channel 2. Now I must admitt channel 2 of the mark V at least has much more gain than the IV but is very boring and not real good at all in my opionion.

6. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I don't get the Mark V love in all honesty. Playing live, it is so difficult to balance the channels adequately at loud, gigging volumes.

7. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I got to play a second hand PT100 in deciding whether to buy it or not.

I was very impressed by the amp! The seller had the volume on the loop turned down to 1, which chokes the overall volume of the amp. The amp still sounded really good. Not thin or buzzy. When we turned it up to 5 and then later 10 the amp sounded the same, just louder.

The other thing I noticed was that no matter where you set the gain and volume controls on either channel the amp sounded good. So there are heaps of different tones in the amp at all sorts of combinations of gain and volume.

I'm kicking myself because I started with all the EQ dials at 12 o'clock position. I only got to play the amp for about half and hour and I spent part of the time trying to make it sound like a real vintage Marshall. But I was more playing with the gain and volume. If only I had turned the bass right down and the mids and treble right up I might have closer to that Marshall kerang that I was looking for.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would suggest you consider a Splawn Nitro, or a Marshall JVM 410H.

Both have lots of gain, but the versatility nod goes to the Marshall for supporting midi control. There is also the Mako Mak4, and perhaps the Fryette Sig:X.

9. octatonic

octatonic Member

The PT is the way to go imho.

I have the 50 watter and it is excellent.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Well considering that the PT100 clean channel is almost a Fender BlackFace clone... I'll take the PT100. I've never dug Bandmasters, and always preferred the big clean sound of a Twin. YMMV.

Also, the PT100 has a feedback knob which allows you to dial in the right amount of sag or tightness (whatever feel) you prefer from the power amp. The RA has nothing like it.

Finally, after owning around 50-75 Marshalls... the PT100 pretty much nails several great Marshall tones, and great Fender cleans in one box... the Mesa RA is way behind in that race. Again... YMMV.

11. Wizard of Ozz

Correct. If you set the feedback knob at 12:00 (or 5 on the dial) that's the standard medium setting. Lowering it, say down to 2-3 will increase the amount of sag and give you a looser feel and attack. Like a stock JTM45. Increasing it to say 7 (or 2:00) which is where I normally keep it, give you a much tighter feel and faster response, with little to no sag or lag. Like a boosted JCM800 2203. Just a really awesome feature. Combined with the "Whomp Switch" this amp sounds great at any volume. All tube amps should have these features IMHO.

12. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Thanks for the responses.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yeah, the Feedback knob is one of the coolest features on the amp. Really key to dialing in the sound you're looking for.

14. saf_1

saf_1 Member

IMO, they are not even in the same class. PT100, all the way.

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I agree.
    After the MK IIB, it is just my personal opinion that Mesa amps became far more two channel interactive, inthat anything adjusted on one channel affected how the other channel was already set. I played Mesa amps for 18 years, and had all the models from the MK II A to the MK III A. After the MK III, I gave up and switched to amps that are not channel and gain dependant/interactive to arrive at their individual channel sound, volume, etc.

The PT 100 every time over any Mesa. jmho

16. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Thanks for the advice guys, so does the PT100 have external bias test points or do you have to take the chassis out of the headshell.

17. Phil M

Phil M Member

No external bias points. I love that feature on amps but no many have it.

18. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I really love my Suhr PT-100! It is very versatile and sounds amazing...

19. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Don't wanna get too off track but you guys with knowledge of some of these high end amplifier...How would the pt100 compare to say a Bogner 101b xtc?

20. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

I just bought a used PT100 from the emporium. Should have it next week. Really looking forward to getting it here. I was looking for a classic Marshall tone plus a high gain option. I was reading on the Suhr forum that you can get as much gain as an OD100SE+ with a trim pot in the chassis.