CAA/Suhr OD 50 review.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SteveVHT, Jul 30, 2005.

1. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

So I got my second OD 100 the other day, the OD 50.
    I am extremely happy with this amp.
    I had also just gotten back my OD 100 SE from John a few days prior with a few extra mods. I had also changed out the 100 watter to EL34's which made a real nice improvement on the overall tighness of the amp.

Note-
    The OD 50 that I received is a little different also. Boston Guitar works has the OD 50, but it's a different animal than mine John told me. I hope he can chime in and tell you the difference. He said it was more Plexi based.

Back to the OD 50.....:D
    It kills.
    The amp is absolutely amazing.
    The clean channel is just like a stock OD 100 for the most part. Slightly different tone. I think that's due to the different tranny.
    The clean channel with boost gets into the "Dumble" sound at much lower gain settings on the clean. But, non boosted, it just shimmers and sparkles like it's big brother.....
    The non boosted OD(Channel 2) is absolutely killer as is boosted.
    The non boosted OD just has alot more aggression than the 100 IMHO. It seems to break up a bit earlier, and really reacts to the master very well, which is nice. John put in an extra control on the back which brings it from stock at 12:00, plexi style counter clock wise, and more modern clockwise.
    It's kinda like the sickest sounding rodded plexi when you don't boost the OD channel.
    Then when you hit the boost, it can easily go into death metal territory without the buzz affiliated with most high gain amps.
    It just seems to retain all of it's articulation even under the highest gain settings.... YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO GO PAST 6-7.....
    Just super tight all around. It doesn't skip a beat.
    I was expecting it to get a bit muddy at the higher gain settings, but it didn't. I am running it through a CAA 4x12 loaded with brand new Mesa Boogie MC90 speakers that are not even close to being broken in, and it still sounded amazing.
    And just like it's big brother, the input is sooooooo sensative to what guitar you plug into it.
    I played my Natural quilt EBMM Axis, Fender Custom Shop strat, and my LE Suhr...And you could hear every ounce of different wood and pups in each one.

The honeymoon has just started, so I will get into it further once I get to spend more time with it, and tweak everything. But just like my Suhr guitars, and my other OD 100, it looks like it's going to be a very very long marriage...Very Happy

I'll post clips as soon as I get something down that I am happy with...tone wise...
    Steve

2. FredW

FredW Member

Cool!! Mine was supposed to be here this week, but it is not coming until monday. I hope mine is the same specs as yours, I think it is- Clean w/ SH boost. I can't wait

3. dickswifter

dickswifter Member

Thanks for the review Steve. Congratulations on the new amp! Just to clarify, which amp got modded to take EL34's? I have an SE model that I love, but often wondered what it would sound like with EL34's. So how many of John's amps do you have now? I'm jealous. :dude

Thanks,
    Mitch

4. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Hey Steve,

Any chance of giving a fell forum member the opportunity to give the 50 a test drive....I live in NJ so I am not that far.....I currently have a Barber Echelon, a /13 37, and a sommatone......I have a top hat super deluxe that I am selling because kinda overlaps some of what I have and I am looking for something that can do a higher gain thing which I dont have.......(by the way if theres anything on my list you would like to hear let me know)

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

The original stock OD 100.
    When I sent it to John for the SE mod, he set it up for a quick change to 34's.
    I just had to change one resistor and re-bias.
    Steve

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

No problem...
    I had about 10 guys from the HC amp forum at my studio tonight and they loved it.
    Send me an email, and you are more than welcome to come check it out.
    Steve

SteveVHT@aol.com

7. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

Man, this is just making me itch to get my amp back from Suhr... Ugh..

Glad your amp turned out well with the '34s. I'm getting the same thing done 'cept my mine will be a stock ch2 od100.

8. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

10. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Here's the twins...:D
    The 50 is on top and the modded OD 100 SE on the bottom.
    I'm just waiting for the other 4x12 which should be here this week...
    [​IMG]

11. FredW

FredW Member

Mine arrived today and is sitting home waiting for me to get home from work. I can't stand it-I want to go home!!!

12. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Aren't you feeling a little sick???
    ;)

13. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Note-
    The OD 50 that I received is a little different also. Boston Guitar works has the OD 50, but it's a different animal than mine John told me. I hope he can chime in and tell you the difference. He said it was more Plexi based.

Steve, sounds like a great amp. Any idea which OD50 will be sold at large? Your version, Boston Guitarworks version...or both?

14. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

John said that he only made 4 of them like Bostons...
    So I'd assume the one that I have.
    Steve

15. FredW

FredW Member

Got it!! played it for about an hour so far and it is very sweet. I'll reserve further comment until I get to spend some real time with it. The first thing I noticed was how controllable the master is. There are no sudden jumps in volume, which was a pleasant suprise. Clean channel is beautiful!!

Hey Steve were you talking about the return level in the back as the vintage/modern control or is it a separate control in the back?

Thanks

Fred

16. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Both my amps have what John calls a "Feedback" control.
    When set to 12 O Clock it's in it's stock form.
    Turning to the right makes a more modern agressive gain, and counter clock wise is more vintage/plexi with more power amp sag.
    Has nothing to do with the loop.
    But you can jump the loops in both and use it as an overall master.
    Steve

17. FredW

FredW Member

Mine doesn't have that but i couldn't imagine needing more gain!! That sounds cool, does it really have a substantial effect? I am loving this thing so far, esp the clean channel.

18. FredW

FredW Member

Great, I'll take you up on that. Killer amp John!! I actually didn't realize how loud I was playing the amp tonight until my six year old son came in and started yelling at me to turn it down and I couldn't hear a word he was saying. I sounded so good that i just wanted to keep pushing it. I think I'll have my hands full with the controls as they are for a while. Maybe I'll bring it over when I pick up the new classic

Thanks

19. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

Congrats Steve and Fred on your amps! It's just not fair you have 2 of them and I don't have ANY! :mad:

I want an OD and the 50 may be my ticket. Please keep your opinions and tonal descriptions coming cause I have to rely on those instead of actually trying the amp. 50 watts is more manageable for my needs and the trim control sounds very useable. Do you really notice a change between the modern and the plexi?? Can you describe it a bit more for me? What IYHO makes these amps apparently so d*** good and what music
    style(s) do you guys play?

Thanks very much and again, congratulations....
    Cam

20. FredW

FredW Member

Hey Cam

I really didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with it last night but I really am impressed with it. I turned the amp on for the first time, had it on the clean channel, didn't touch the controls and it sounded amazing. Very SRV like with the neck single coil on my guitar. I really haven't messed with channel 2 enough to give you an opinion but it screams but cleans up really well with the volume on the guitar. I play blues-blues rock-heavy blues rock, you get the idea. I mainly use strat type guitars. The amp sounds very good at lower volumes but I have not tried it at bedroom volumes. As I said before, I had the volume and gain at about 1-2 o'clock on channel 2 and it didn't seem obscenely loud until my son came in. Good sign!!