CAA/Suhr OD100 Classic+, opinions ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenStrat, Jan 30, 2012.

1. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

I'm looking into an EL34 amp to accompany my two-rock CRS V3, there's a OD100 classic + for sale second hand, what's the verdict on this amp ?

I like very chimey and open cleans, and a very vintage marshall super lead plexi OD tone.
    What's the general consensus on this amp, and would it complement the two-rock ?

thanks !

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I think it's an incredible amp. It has the best clean channel of any channel switcher I've ever played. Just really, really great blackface style cleans that can also get pushed into a bluesy lead tone by bumping up the gain and/or boost. That channel alone is worth the price of admission and you can cover a lot of ground.

I found the gain channel to be a very authentic old marshall tone (my amp just prior to the OD was a '72 marshall super bass) in the lower gain ranges. I thought it sounded best with the gain very low....2-4 or so. Above that it took on an unpleasant edge, IMO. I think that I probably would even prefer the regular "non-plus" Classic.

All in all, to cover the ground between fender cleans and plexi/jmp marshall overdrive I think it fits the bill better than anything else I've tried. Unfortunately I had to sell mine but I would love to own another one someday.

3. NAV1147

NAV1147 Member

thats a great pair. If its a good deal, jump all over it. The classic plus is great

4. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

is there a big difference between the classic and classic + ?

On paper the OD100 looks great, but the soundclips at suhr's website don't sound all that marshally to me ?