Cab Advice for Ethos Amp

Nota

I've been gigging with a regular Ethos for a while now into a PA, and love the sound. According to Robbie at Custom Tones, the speaker sim output is a mix between a Eminence RWB and a Celestion G12-65.

I'm thinking of going the "amp" route: Ethos -> Cab. I want to get the lightest, smallest cab possible that still sounds similar to my current setup.

I'm leaning towards the RWB, but ideally a Neo speaker, maybe even a 10'', might suit me... perhaps the Deltalite II 2510? The lighter and smaller the better - maybe a cardboard enclosure :D Thanks for any advice!

71strat

The Ethos is a Dumble copy.

Dumble's like Electrovoice EV12Ls and TS806 Cabinets with 100% 3/4 inch Birch Ply cabinet.

If not that ? Same cabinet with a Hemp Coned JBL E120.

For Lighter weight ?

Id use a Fane Medusa 150C and a nice TS806 Pine Cabinet with a 3/4 Inch Baffle from TRM cabinets to accommodate it. You could even have Tim make it with a 3 piece modular back so you can use it.

Ported, Open, Semi Open or Sealed. All in 1 cabinet.

Ive got 2 of them with JBL E120s and hemp cones. All 3/4 Baltic ply though.

They say the EMI RWB is good for an open back cabinet ???

I disagree from an Optimum Standpoint.

The fs ( Resonant Frequency ) of that speaker is 110. NOT to be confused with Frequency Response.

But any fs over 88 is Not suited for an Open or Semi Open back. They may work but it is Very Hard on the Speaker because of Excursion and is Not recommended for this application.

There is a reason for all of the Specs/Numbers. Thiele Parameters.

Not saying youre using OPEN/Semi Open. Just a Heads Up. If 1 uses a Speaker with an fs of 89 or over you should cut the Power Capability in Half if using in Open/Semi Open back.. But still the RWB will Easily handle the Ethos. But for me would not be optimum in open/semi open back.

89 fs or Over does Best in a Sealed Cabinet.

Any guitar speaker with an fs 88 or Under is good for any type of enclosure.

Anything Under 80 fs requires a Ported cabinet to get 100% of the Frequency response.

The Fane, EV, JBL ALL have Very Low fs and also work well with Drop Tuned guitars or if you use effects that greatly lower your frequencies and sub harmonics

Im mainly a 100% Tube Amp guy but I love the sound of the Ethos Amp and an EV 12L in a TS806 cabinet.

Truly 1 of the Best Solid State Amps Sounds Available. Especially for the Money. I don't consider them expensive for what they are and What they do. Id love to eventually have 1.

I also have a Metro Amps GMP45, 69 Dual Showman Reverb and a 1st generation Cybertwin. Of which I think is The Best Simulation type amp ever made. It isn't a Modeling amp though and also has 2 12ax7 pre amp tubes. But its modern technology.

Regardless of what speaker you use.

Check out the fs of the speaker and Adhere to the rule and Don't use a Box that is To Small or you will lose Low end and also sound Weak/Anemic. Speaker box Volume means ALOT.

Last edited:

Nota

^ Thanks for the response! I'm nowhere near as smart as you are about this stuff, and half of that went way over my head...

I will say that I'm not too concerned with losing bass - I play with a very midrange OD and no "thump". I like tight bass, not loose. FWIW I don't actually need "sparkling" highs either, I usually reduce the presence and treble a bit.

But I sort of see what you're saying with losing bass with too small a cab. Maybe that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, not sure :)

The EV is way too heavy, I'm looking for a cab that's 25 pounds or less!

I'll check out the speakers you mentioned, been looking at speakers all evening and my head is about to explode!

I'm still leaning to the G12-65, RWB, or hopefully a neodymium if it can get close to one of those two.

DaveKS

Well stating budget would help in getting pertinent replies. Also open or closed back? What do you play, metal or country?

J Design bamboo ? Sucker is just classy looking.
http://www.jdesigncabs.com/our_cabinet_designs/sustain_eco_112

Forte vented/closed 2x12? Best of both worlds.
http://www.fortespeakers.com/3dcabinets/3d2x12sv.html

Or Carls Cabs 1x12 pine open back. Cheap, Order it finished or unfinished and stain and finish it yourself, save some serious bucks.
http://carlscustomguitars.com/Handm...sion-Cabinet-1x122x10-or-1x15-112-ext-cab.htm

Avatar 1x12 cab with oval/closed back baffle plate option.

Mojotone Slammins angled cab.

Many ways you can go but need guidance as to what you want/need.

Reactions: Rod

Nota

Well stating budget would help in getting pertinent replies. Also open or closed back? What do you play, metal or country?

Many ways you can go but need guidance as to what you want/need.
Thanks for the advice!

As far as I can tell, all too heavy. I'm looking for something under 25 pounds *loaded*. I know, I'm a wimp, but my current setup has completely spoiled me - Ethos with 17 pound powered PA which is plenty loud for my bands and gigs. I love my minimalism and will even pay more for less in this respect. I'm writing you all for advice because I don't want to compromise my sound overmuch.

If this whole venture doesn't work out, I'm fine keeping my current setup. Maybe it's just not possible, and that's ok.

So my question is "what's the lightest speaker/cab combination I can buy for $400 or less that goes well with my Ethos Amp?"

csweldon

I love my JDesign 112 Thinline, oval semi open back with Eminence Tonkerlite. Sounds great with my Fuchs Mod, and when I had an Ethos TLE I used my Crate Powerblock as a power amp and that sounded great too! Only about 20lbs!

Reactions: Rod

Nota

I love my JDesign 112 Thinline, oval semi open back with Eminence Tonkerlite. Sounds great with my Fuchs Mod, and when I had an Ethos TLE I used my Crate Powerblock as a power amp and that sounded great too! Only about 20lbs!
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Tonker is one of the speakers I was considering, but had read it works well with Dumble style amps. The Lil' Texas looks very similar based on EQ curve alone.

How heavy is the JD with Tonker? Seems like it would be about 20 as well.

csweldon

With a regular Tonker, it would come in about 26lbs. But with the lite, only about 20. I think the oval open back helps the Tonkerlite's leaner bass. I love the combination!

If you got the cab a bit smaller you could shave even more weight, but at 20lbs I wouldn't bother!

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
This is probably about as lightweight as you could go. For reference, I have an older style (smaller) Dr. Z 1x12 birch cabinet that is 22.75"x13.75"x10" and currently loaded with an Eminence Red, White, and Blues. I just weighed it at 31.4 lbs.

Nota

With a regular Tonker, it would come in about 26lbs. But with the lite, only about 20. I think the oval open back helps the Tonkerlite's leaner bass. I love the combination!

If you got the cab a bit smaller you could shave even more weight, but at 20lbs I wouldn't bother!
20 would be perfect, but you know me, the less the better :D It's like a race car, have to take off all the excess weight!

Trending Topics