• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

cab and speaker choices for AC15tvh

scotty danger

I've got an ac15 heritage handwired head on the way and the logical choice is to put an alnico blue in my oversized 1x12 open back cab.

BUT, I have a very sweet Voodoo Amps cab and was thinking I could run a detuned setup with it. Maybe a scumnico 15 watt and a g12h30 type in the top two slots and leave the bottom two open?

I've read tons of posts about the ac15 handwired and speaker choices, but didn't see anything about running a detuned setup (with closed back cab).

Thanks for any info!

vdoochild7

I have the combo version. I think it sounds best hooked up to the internal Blue. I also have a gold in a mojo open back cab that also sounds great with the Vox. Lastly, I also have a Zbest with a G12H and weber alnico silver bell. The Vox doesn't match up well with the Zbest at all. I would stick with open back cabs with that particular amp.

distorted noise

Silver Supporting Member
i run mine with a 212 closed cab and it does sound better with the 112 combo. i would get a open 112 extension cab with the the blue, but it's too expensive for me right now.

scotty danger

Thanks so much guys for all of the input, I really appreciate it. I kind of had a feeling in the back of my head that the detuned setup just wasn't going to work.

I was surprised to read that the "blue" in the combo has a different cone than the traditional blue. However, I've heard a bunch of clips that I thought were amazing - so who knows.

I've actually got a scumback m75 on order (which was for the jtm-45 clone), but I just traded that amp for the vox! I've heard some vox / greenback tones that I loved, but I think I'm gonna need the extra efficiency with the two bands that I play with. Hmmmm

coldfingaz

Unfortunately, the stock amps in the heritage series have some chinese cones on them.. they sound good in their own right, but too bright and fizzy compared to an english-made bluespeaker.

They can be re-coned though.

I'd never heard this before either, but it's ridiculous if true. Vox's price already includes a crazy upcharge for the Celestion Blue speaker. It really makes no sense for them to skimp on their higher end handwired models either.

scotty danger

Yeah, I saw a post by some exec at Vox explaining the choice to make a Chinese blue. My take on it was (and hopefully I'm not misinterpreting): basically, the Chinese celestion factory was close to the Chinese Vox factory and it made more sense (in terms of making money) to have the speakers made in China instead of being shipped from the UK to China.

scotty danger

Hmmmm I now have the option to grab a mesa 1x12 wide body (oversized style) open back cab for super cheap. At the moment I've got a Lopo oversized 1x12.

I haven't found too much on the mesa widebody 1x12 style. Any opinions? I'm leaning towards the Scumnico 30 watt speaker - but I'm worried this mesa cab might be too warm or boomy with this speaker? I have no idea :confused:

distorted noise

Silver Supporting Member
Hmmmm I now have the option to grab a mesa 1x12 wide body (oversized style) open back cab for super cheap. At the moment I've got a Lopo oversized 1x12.

I haven't found too much on the mesa widebody 1x12 style. Any opinions? I'm leaning towards the Scumnico 30 watt speaker - but I'm worried this mesa cab might be too warm or boomy with this speaker? I have no idea :confused:
i had a mesa 112 widebody and i really loved it, wish i never traded it. i don't know how it would sound with the ac15 but it's still a great cab.

scotty danger

thanks for the info guys!

i had a mini tone-fest this afternoon. i grabbed a well broken in celestion alnico blue and was surprised to see my scumnico 30 watt on my doorstep when i got home. the ac 15 handwired head got dropped off an hour later.

first, I tried both speakers in my lopoline oversized 1x12. both speakers sounded amazing, but i preferred the scumnico, even though it was brand new! the blue was a little too bright for my tastes. the scumnico was meatier on the high strings, which sounded nicer to me since I do a lot of finger tapping. the chime was still there, but the semi-painful treble frequencies weren't :bow

then i switched the scumnico into the mesa oversized 1x12. it is important to note that this is the oversized cab for the lonstar, but the chasis was taken out. it still sounded really good, but i prefered the sound of the lopoline. the sound was a little bit warmer and thicker, which is nice because I play a telecaster. the lopoline actually had more lowend, even though the cab wasn't as big as the mesa. don't get me wrong, the mesa sounded great as well . . . this is just getting into super subjective tone-land ;)

again, both speakers and cabs had different strengths. i'm excited to hear how the scumnico changes as it breakes in. now i've gotta grab a decent nos ef86 and some jj el84s. ahhhhh, the quest never ends . . .

scotty danger

Thread resurrection: I met an awesome up and coming amp builder and a/b'd his vox inspired amp against my heritage handwired. His amp, the "AC20", killed the AC15 heritage. I'm using both the alnico blue and scumnico.

Here are a few clips of just the blue and the Morgan Amplification AC20. So chimey, but the thing gets wayy heavy too when you crank it. I'm in heaven - finally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GuWf9mxHQA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-WSI1UB3E&feature=channel

morganamplification.com

Trending Topics