Cab Building: What wood supplier?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Hey folks,

One more cabinet building question:

Where does one get wood for these? Would the solid pine stock at the local Home Depot or Lowes be adequate for pine cabs?

I doubt baltic birch is available there though.

And, anyone know of a good, inexpensive hole jig?

Thanks,

Paul

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Both are great places to find solid pine boards, although you may have to sort through them to find quality pieces (i.e. without a lot of knots or warping). It sometimes depends on the store and what day of the week (i.e. when the new shipment arrives).

Higher quality low-grade lumber can be found at lumberyards, but the price is usually much more. The higher-grade lumber (I believe it's called premium, instead of select pine) at Lowes/Home Depot isn't really suitable because it's too dense (heavy), although it is without warps or knots. (It's also very expensive.)

For speaker holes, most use a router with a homemade jig or a reciprocating saw.
    A router isn't really made to cut (the bit vibrates and comes out).
    It takes a little expertise to use a saw to make circles, but that's what pros usually use.

The RotoZip has an attachment specifically for making holes, which is really nice.
    It is, however, a lot slower than a reciprocating saw in skilled hands.

3. Jeph

Jeph Member

What he said re: wood.

I use my router with a 1/4" spiral bit for cutting speaker holes. I made a hole jig with a cutoff piece of 1/2" plywood, with different indexes for different speaker sizes. I attach the router to the jig, find the center of the hole I want to cut, then position the jig index over the center mark and drill through the center. I use the drill bit as the pivot (un-chuck the bit from the drill while it's still through the jig and the baffle board).

It's not high tech or pretty, but it gives me perfect circles.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Lowe's and Home Depot don't really carry great wood. Lowes has imported Birch plywood, but it has a lot of void issues. Neither place carries high quality straight boards. The pine they both carry is usually very wet, and will warp as it dries, either making the cabinet not square, or cracking the wood itself.

Call a local lumberyard, and they should be able to help you. We have a few here in town that are lower in price, and have much better quality stuff. We use a local place called TH&H. Their Baltic Birch is insanely beautiful to work with. The price for a 4x8 sheet is actually cheaper than a 4x4 sheet at Lowes.

We use a router in our shop for cutting speaker holes. One of the tricks is to let the tool do the work. A lot of people try to push their routers, to make them cut faster, and this will cause the bit to come out and fly across the room (hopefully not hitting anyone) or it will make the router jump. Take your time.

5. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Jeph, that's what I do too except it's a piece of MDF, and I use a small nail as the pivot. Works like a charm.

6. Nolatone Ampworks

Photos please :)

7. Jeph

Jeph Member

Ain't she purdy? As you can see, it took a few times to get the spacing right.

[​IMG]

8. Nolatone Ampworks

Hey, sweet! I had something totally different in mind!

What's the axe underneath?

9. imschur

imschur Member

My local lumber yard gets me any wood at great prices, I guess it depends where you are located. Local "Woodcraft" stores have Baltic birtch
    http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/

As for holes for various cutouts (speaker,handle,jack) I had a machinist friend whip up some polycarbonate router templates from drawings I made. Id gladly make the drawings available. I rough cut the holes close to size with a jigsaw and then use the router and template to clean them up. The template also contains the speaker bolt pattern and thats how I attatch it for router use. Heres the last project I did with them http://www.woodworkingforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,8.msg68.html#new

drew