• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cab Clone Use

Al Rose

Platinum Supporting Member
OK, a question for those of you who have a Cab Clone or similar device. As some of you know, I do a solo thing now, and as such, that coupled with my age (and back) requires things to be as light as they can be. As an example, I recently replaced my JBL passive wedges with JBL Eons, saving 17 pounds per speaker (3), and a Crown power amp. It's really telling when I have to lift 2 of them up to place them on the speaker stands. 26 pound is WAY mo'betta than 43 pounds.

So, my current amp cabinet is a Forte' 3D clone made from solid Cherry....45 pounds loaded. An awesome sounding cabinet, but heavy. My thought is to use the Cab Clone (Express amp) going directly into my mixer (Soundcraft) and folding me back to my floor wedge. If I do this I will save another 45 pounds of lifting AND save space in the SUV. Now for my question: I have always had my amp behind me, and rarely have had to use a mic, so my brain is programmed to hear it behind me. How big of an adjustment is it to now only have my guitar sound coming from the floor wedge instead of behind me. Before I pull the string on this, thoughts anyone?

BTW - I'm going to post this on the Boogie Board as well.

Al

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Just one, small opinion for mankind: You're gonna miss it. :)
A heavy combo behind me always sounds sweeter than a wedge in front.

[Admittedly no experience w/ Cab Clones here.]
I struggle now w/ my heavy EVM combos [I am ancient!] but I'm never as happy every gig I try something else lighter...or monitors angled at me.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
OK, a question for those of you who have a Cab Clone or similar device. As some of you know, I do a solo thing now, and as such, that coupled with my age (and back) requires things to be as light as they can be. As an example, I recently replaced my JBL passive wedges with JBL Eons, saving 17 pounds per speaker (3), and a Crown power amp. It's really telling when I have to lift 2 of them up to place them on the speaker stands. 26 pound is WAY mo'betta than 43 pounds.

So, my current amp cabinet is a Forte' 3D clone made from solid Cherry....45 pounds loaded. An awesome sounding cabinet, but heavy. My thought is to use the Cab Clone (Express amp) going directly into my mixer (Soundcraft) and folding me back to my floor wedge. If I do this I will save another 45 pounds of lifting AND save space in the SUV. Now for my question: I have always had my amp behind me, and rarely have had to use a mic, so my brain is programmed to hear it behind me. How big of an adjustment is it to now only have my guitar sound coming from the floor wedge instead of behind me. Before I pull the string on this, thoughts anyone?

BTW - I'm going to post this on the Boogie Board as well.

Al
Its a strange place to be. Like you, I've always had an amp or cabinet behind me. I used a Kemper since they were first introduced. I thought I could get everything solved from it. It was a mistake on my part to think this way. I tried a couple of versions with it through some FRFR monitors and through a few cabs. It just didn't have what I was used to hearing. It really can take some time to get used to the change. Also, I didn't try every FRFR that I came across. I could have given it more time but at the end of the day, I wasn't overly happy with the Kemper either. People gush over it but it has it's shortcomings.

Now, I just played a very large gig on Thurs. evening but I wasn't allowed to bring a cab in due to it being an orchestra pit. I brought my JVM410HJS, my Torpedo live and my small pedalboard. I went direct into the board and had a very nice RCF monitor in front of me. It sounded bloody glorious through them. A friend in the audience said the FOH tone was amazing as well.

so...it all depends. I've taken a similar setup with me to other gigs and only used the monitors and had no issues with tone. For other gigs, I bring my Marshall 4x12 with me or a smaller 1x12 cabinet and I have it pointed at me either side stage or at another angle. The Two-Notes goes to FOH and always sounds amazing.

In your case, the cab clone would work nicely with the wedge. I just hope that you will like what you hear from it. I still prefer that speaker cabinet on stage. It just sounds right to me.

Good luck and enjoy!

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I think it would take some adjustment, but I think you'd get used to it. If you're singing, you'll have to take precautions to be sure the guitar from the monitor isn't picked up by your vocal mic, but that should be doable.

Since you said this is a solo gig, I would think this would be an easier transition than if you were in a full band trying to get used to no longer having an amp on stage behind you.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I asked about, but didn't get much feedback on having the Mark Five:25 cab clone out into a FRFR on stage with the player as the amp head's cab, then daisy-chain from your stage FRFR to FOH - in theory you'd be hearing exactly what FOH is hearing from your FRFR behind you as the speaker cab. Depending on how deep the stage space is, you could use a floor wedge if your like 15 feet upstage from the FRFR behind you (as long as you don't get your stage cab volume louder than FOH) or IEM's. Shouldn't this work, allowing you to eliminate the traditional guitar amp speaker cab?

Al Rose

Yeah, I'm sure it won't be as good as having a cabinet behind me, but it would sure lighten the load. The area I set up on in most venues is very small and tight, so it might be easier than I think.

Thanks for the experience PBGas. When I'm with a full band I would still use the full rig, but sounds like you made it work. Just might pull the trigger and give it a go. My bad back will probably thank me. As an aside - the audience at these solo gigs doesn't even care about my tone. For some I'm actually just background. Only myself and maybe a friend or 2 out there would notice....

Al

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm sure it won't be as good as having a cabinet behind me, but it would sure lighten the load. The area I set up on in most venues is very small and tight, so it might be easier than I think.

Thanks for the experience PBGas. When I'm with a full band I would still use the full rig, but sounds like you made it work. Just might pull the trigger and give it a go. My bad back will probably thank me. As an aside - the audience at these solo gigs doesn't even care about my tone. For some I'm actually just background. Only myself and maybe a friend or 2 out there would notice....

Al
And that right there is the thing in your last sentence. No one is going to notice other than you and maybe another person. If you have a bad back then this would be one way to save it! My back is ok, so I don't mind taking my 4x12 around with me or a 1x12 as needed.

Good luck and hope it works!

:)

Al Rose

And that right there is the thing in your last sentence. No one is going to notice other than you and maybe another person. If you have a bad back then this would be one way to save it! My back is ok, so I don't mind taking my 4x12 around with me or a 1x12 as needed.

Good luck and hope it works!

:)
Thanks. Ironically, this morning for some unknown reason my lower back went into spasms. So 6 advil, ice, and stretching have convinced me to order it and give it a try. In truth, the 5 band EQ on my Express and my ODs (Mythical OD and Zendrive 2, both with lots of tonal possibilities) should give me the flexibility to get very close to my tone from the cabinet. We'll see.

Al

Trending Topics