• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Cab for a Peavey 5150?

Swaters

I thought I’d seek some advice from the higher gain folks around here. I’ve got a 5150 on the way and will be needing a cab to pair with it. I’m not in the camp of “I have to pair it with a 5150 cab” but rather something that will best suit my needs. I am NOT a super heavy metal player that drop tunes and chugs. I’ll be using the amp mainly for 80s rock tones and of course a healthy dose of Van Halen sounds.

I come from the land of clean pedal platform amps so I really don’t know too much about the speakers I see people associate with higher gain amps (V30, G1275, etc..) I’ve always done higher gain stuff with pedals. I’ve heard awesome sounds from a 5150 through Mesa/Marshall cabs but thought I’d see what y’all had to say!

GreatGreen

For Van Halen tones, I'd look into the EVH 4x12 cabs. They are loaded with Celestion EVH speakers, which are literally Celestion Heritage Greenbacks with a different sticker on them.

The Heritage Greenbacks are like regular Greenbacks but without the papery, pronounced high end. They're a bit smoother. I bought an EVH 4x12 after trying it out for a bit and to me it's the best sounding 4x12 I've played through. I'm using it with a 5150 III 100w EL34 head. I don't play much of the djenty stuff, mostly rock.

You might also get recommendations for cabs with Vintage 30's in them, which are also good. They're 60 watts compared to the Heritage Greenback's 25 watts, so they're a bit better at handling low end and a few other differences in the mids and highs relative to the Heritage Greenbacks. V30's are also more sensitive than the Heriage speakers, which means they'll be louder at the same place on the amp's volume knob. Whether this is desirable is matter of personal taste.

Last edited:

Nitrobattery

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for Greenbacks. I gigged one with a V30 loaded Mesa 4x12 for years, but it sounded absolutely phenomenal with my Greenback loaded cab. Both work, but for the tones you're looking for, I think Greenies is the way to go if you're going with a 4x12. For a 2x12 cab, Celestion Creamback 65's or Redbacks will get you really close but with higher power handling.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Definitely look for a EVH 4x12 or a 1960AX

killa j

Back in the day when everyone had a 5150, about 90% of the guys I knew with one played it through an Orange 4x12 cab with V30s. They sounded a little tighter than the Mesa Recto cabs (maybe placebo effect).

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
For Van Halen tones, I'd look into the EVH 4x12 cabs. They are loaded with Celestion EVH speakers, which are literally Celestion Heritage Greenbacks with a different sticker on them.

The Heritage Greenbacks are like regular Greenbacks but without the papery, pronounced high end. They're a bit smoother. I bought an EVH 4x12 after trying it out for a bit and to me it's the best sounding 4x12 I've played through. I'm using it with a 5150 III 100w EL34 head. I don't play much of the djenty stuff, mostly rock.

You might also get recommendations for cabs with Vintage 30's in them, which are also good. They're 60 watts compared to the Heritage Greenback's 25 watts, so they're a bit better at handling low end and a few other differences in the mids and highs relative to the Heritage Greenbacks. V30's are also more sensitive than the Heriage speakers, which means they'll be louder at the same place on the amp's volume knob. Whether this is desirable is matter of personal taste.
Aren’t they this speaker and not the greenies?

slayerbear17

I picked up a 5150III EVH 4X12 for $460CAD, I got very lucky and this is after his death.

Don't rule out the older style 5150 Peavey with the Sheffields. Totally under rated IMO, great on cutting thru on stage mixes, solid classic 80's rock metal sound, not as aggressive as the V30s.

Cheap as chips, Peavey 5150 or 6505 cab with Sheffields.

Overall though G12's for the win on recordings for me. The V30's and Sheffields see live work.

Mudder

Silver Supporting Member
A speaker pairing I like for overall rock tones is one v30 and one EVM 12L in a 2x12.

GreatGreen

Aren’t they this speaker and not the greenies?

The EVH 2x12 cabs use the G12H speakers.

The EVH 4x12 cabs use the Celestion EVH speakers, which are the Celestion Heritage Greenback M speakers with a different sticker on the back.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
The EVH 2x12 cabs use the G12H speakers.

The EVH 4x12 cabs use the Celestion EVH speakers, which are the Celestion Heritage Greenback M speakers with a different sticker on the back.
ahhh, interesting. I swear I had that thought for half a second and then thought, nah they’re probably the same.

Funny enough I was reading long old threads about these speakers, including heritage, anniversary and then creambacks. It really is a lot of confusion.

I hear these cabs are fantastic though. For whatever reason I’ve heard the 1x12 isn’t so great, but the other two are up there with the best.

cardinal

I have sort of an absurd number of 4x12s right now. The 5150 is, in my opinion, not at all picky about the cab (some amps really are. Not the 5150: it works pretty much with whatever).

For what you want, I'd go for a Marshall-style 4x12 with either G12M or V30. The V30 will be a bit brighter and tighter. A Mesa cab will be much stiffer and colder sounding that a Marshall-style cab.

Albion9

You will be surprised by the normal input and the crunch mode for classic rock. Oh, remove two of the power tubes...2 inside or 2 outside, look it up. It sounds just as good and plenty loud. Keep the other two for spares. You can find 5150 cabs used at very reasonable prices and they sound great with the head.

NorCal_Val

I really liked my old Peavey 5150 through the Friedman 4x12(Greenbacks and V30s), for rock/hard rock approved tones. While i preferred the 5150 through a Boogie Recto 4x12 for modern metal tones(super focused sounding), the Friedman 4x12 was more open sounding.(more Sykes/Whitesnake ‘87-ish than modern metal)

t1r12003

This is one of those times I'd also suggest the matching 5150 cabinet. Those Peavey Sheffield speakers have been described as the "Most OK Speaker" around, but they really work with the 5150 amp.

Swaters

This is one of those times I'd also suggest the matching 5150 cabinet. Those Peavey Sheffield speakers have been described as the "Most OK Speaker" around, but they really work with the 5150 amp.
Do you know how those Sheffield’s compare to greenbacks?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom