Cab for Bogner XTC 101b?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Picking up an XTC 101b tomorrow and will be using it with my Rectifier 4x12, initially.

I'm kinda toying with the idea of either a) removing two V30s and going with something else in the cab, or alternativelym b) just getting the matched Bogner cab. However, If I were to get the Bogner cab, I just can't seem to decide between the 4x12 and 2x12...

I'm moving to London in September to go to GI and space is gonna be at a premium, so I was looking at the 2x12. However, really, how much less of a "footprint" does a 2x12 cab leave compared to a 4x12? I imagine they're pretty much the same size. And is an oversized 2x12 really that much more portable than the Bogner 4x12?

And lastly, what do you fellow Bogner owners use with your XTCs?

2. Erik

Erik Member

The Recto 4x12 should match up pretty well with it...is it the oversize standard or the traditional cab?

Currently, I'm using either my Splawn 4x12 with Greenbacks, or my Splawn 4x12 with G12H30's.

3. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Hi, I thought I didn't really like V30's until I got my Bogner with matching 2x12...they sound great with it!

4. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I like my orange 2x12 the best with one v30 and one g12h30

5. pluto

pluto Member

I used to own an Uberkab and own an oversized 2x12 bogner cab. The oversized 2x12 is roughly about 20-25 percent shorter in height and not as deep as the Bogner 4x12. Although that doesn't seem that much of a difference, the 2x12 is really convenient especially if you have to carry the cab up and down stairs. That being said though, the oversized 2x12 sounds nothing like the 4x12 IMO-if portability and space weren't a concern, I would take the 4x12.

6. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Being an x Bogner owner, I would go with the Bogner straight 4 x 12 with V 30's. It has the best tone for that head in my opinion. The Bogner cab is heavy in bass resaponse which matches well with the tone that the 101b puts out. Even though that Stone Age Custom Cabs are my favorite all around cab, the Bogner cabs match well with the Bogner amps.

Best of luck...you have a great start! I had a 101b and liked it very much, but prefered the 6L6 Shiva with the solo boost mod (now a standard feature)

If I ever get another XC Ill get the 101A as I have discovered that I'm a 6L6 kind of guy!

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I like the idea of going v30 + g12h30 with a bogner.

8. billm408

billm408 Member

Until recently I was using a V30 loaded OS Recto cab with my XTC and it works just fine. It's a little boomy on the bottom but very workable. My Bogner OS 2x12 is a great cab and pretty similar to the Recto w/o the low end rumble. However I just picked up a Bogner 4x12 and loaded V30's & CL80's in an X pattern and it is far and away the better choice. Tighter and more responsive to the amp's EQ settings. It's also a smallish 4x12 and looks like a 4x10 next to the Recto cab. Bogner's OS 2x12 is only about 5 or 6" shorter than the 4x12 if size matters for shipping & storage.

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm thinking the straight 4x12 is probably the one to go for then. The footprint isn't gonna be that much smaller, and it's gonna be smaller than ths recto cab anyway.

10. flyangus

flyangus Member

I use a 3 different Bogner cabs, I prefer the all G12H30 4x12 cab followed by 2xV30's and 2xG12H's in an X pattern.

:JAM

11. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

There is something about the OS 2x12 that works magic on V30s. I know many that don't like them and when they hear my Shiva through one they can't believe it is 2 V30s. Most guess a mix of 2 different speakers with one being a V30. I have owned an Uber and still have the Shiva. The Uberkab has 2 75s and 2 V30s in an X pattern. I thought the 75s were going to sound like ass, but once again Bogner knows his stuff! All of this is of course IMO and the opinion of several friends.

12. geetarman

geetarman Member

That's what I have and they sound great.