Cab micing with the SM57?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Optimus Prime, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

What's the trick with cab micing with the SM57? How do you find those sweet spots? I never seem to get it right. Also, in addition to your posts, if you've got any links with info and pictures regarding this, I'll greatly appreciate it!

2. matte

matte Senior Member

I loaded JPEGs onto my PT site and this thread was gone, so I emailed them to you. Try this. If you're rocking a High Gain preamp type scenario, put on a set of headphone(with the track running), play at a lower volume(so you can hear the mix clearly in the phones), while moving the mic around until it sits in the track. You will avoid radical and unnecessary EQ tweakage later.

Thank you, Splatt!

3. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Thanks for the pictures, Matte. Though it's still hard to see exactly, where's that 57 pointed towards? What type of sound are you getting with that setup? Good idea about the headphones. Sorry for deleting my previous post, I realized soon after I posted it that it was posted in the wrong forum.

4. matte

matte Senior Member

Good all purpose clean and crunch sound, Seems to work well with a variety of amps in a variety of apps.

[​IMG]

5. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Matt,
    Any chance you could e-mail me those pics as well? I'm interested in any advice on this subject as well. Thanks....

6. matte

matte Senior Member

Dunn and Donne.

7. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

LOL :D

8. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Muchos gracias senior.....

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Here's a link to the most comprehensive info I've ever found on the subject of recording guitars.

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/fa/3350/

This is from the MARSH pro sound website. Some real heavy weight pro engineers and producers hang there and share info when they are not belittling newbies for asking stupid questions like yours;). Just bear with it because there's something for everyone to learn and try to ignore the excessive profanity and overall aggressive 'tude. This guy knows what he's talking about.

and here's a link to the original thread
    http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/287/

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Oh yeah I almost forgot...starting on about page 34 or 35 of this thread are downloadable audio files from the author further discussing the recording process as it relates to electric guitar.