Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Murray Rothbard, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Murray Rothbard

Murray Rothbard Member

Recently, my Oversized Orange 2x12 fell out of the bed of my friend's pickup truck on the way home from a gig. The cabinet is shot, but the speakers, a WGS Reaper 55hz and a Greenback, are both functioning as usual. (I tested them in a different 2x12) I'm looking to get another oversized 2x12, but save a few bucks and build one myself. I have experience building cabinetry and furniture, but never a speaker cab. I have a few questions. What kind of woods are most common, and how do they affect the tone? Are their standard dimensions for oversized 2x12's, or is it a range of sizes that don't really make any sonic changes between them? My Orange was closed back, but I've seen amps that have a removable panel to switch between open and closed, and I love the idea. Does this work well, specifically with an oversized 2x12. I used my Orange cab with a JTM45 clone and occasionally an OR120 clone, usually with my attenuator, to keep volume down a tad and go easy on the speakers, if that's important. I play a R9 with 57 Classics, mostly using the neck. Genre wise, I play Blues/Rock, in that Cream/Mountain strain, if that helps at all.

2. ctman64

ctman64 Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your cab!

As far as woods go, birch plywood and pine are the two most common. Your Orange was (I'm pretty certain) made of birch ply. It tends to sound a bit more punchy and tight. Pine is less dense, and will usually add a noticeable amount of resonance. Builders like Alessandro use other hardwoods as well, such as cherry, oak, maple, poplar, etc. Some people don't find hardwoods ideal, but a lot of people think they're great, and they look really nice if you want to show the natural wood instead of using tolex.

A convertible back should work great with an oversized 2x12 design.

3. Murray Rothbard

Murray Rothbard Member

Thanks much! That answers a lot of my questions!

4. ctman64

ctman64 Supporting Member

And welcome to TGP!

Murray Rothbard likes this.
  5. sg~guy

sg~guy Member

-well if that wasn't a quality 2x12 like your orange, o doubt your speakers would of survived,

-you can buy a quality 2x12 in any wood, configuration, norm/oversized/open back/closed/convertible in what ever tolex and grill cloth you desire for less than what you would spend to build one-(this is coming from a guy that has built a 8x12. 4x12, & a 2x12...)-

-all of those were made of Baltic void free birch ply, I have the 4x12 left, and an old FENDER BASSMAN-(was a 2x15, put in a new 4x12 baffle)-that's PINE, that cab will never leave me,... It's magic!!

-the convertible might by cool to play with, greenback type of speakers don't do as well in an open back cab-

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The deeper the cab, the more compressed and bassy it will be. Keep that in mind. Think about your damaged one's depth and adjust either way for your preference.

7. Murray Rothbard

Murray Rothbard Member

Thanks much kind sir!

8. Murray Rothbard

Murray Rothbard Member

That Orange was a tank... Solid unit.

Your experience vastly outweighs my own. The information is appreciated! I have a friend with an old Bassman 4x10 that I go nuts for... Those amps are to die for... I remember liking the sound of the cab itself as well, when I ran my JTM45 Clone into it for comparison. Bassmans, and circuits derived from them are always among the best things...

I think I'm going to go for the convertible... If I don't like it, I could probably change it fairly inexpensively...

sg~guy likes this.
  9. Murray Rothbard

Murray Rothbard Member

Okay. That helps! I think I have the measurements for the cab written down somewhere...