1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

cab/speakers for d-style amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drneely, Aug 22, 2008.

1. drneely

drneely Member

just ordered a Quinn sdo, can't wait to get her, but I need a 2x12 when I save some more dough, till then it will have to go through my Marshall 4x12, I want a vertical one, but just wondering who makes good cabs and has a decent selection of speaker options, also what speakers 12-65s or ev12l or what and why? Thanks guys I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for

2. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

3. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered a Port City Wave 212 cab, which I will load with one Celestion Gold and one Austin Sound Works 65Hz ceramic. Dave, did you get the normal or the oversized cab?

I couldn't figure out why the oversized cab is lass expensive than the regular 212 cab.

4. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I bought mine back when all Daniel had was the regular-sized cab. It's an enormous-sounding beast and is a really nice weight and size for hauling around, so I don't really feel any need for the OS model. I'm sure it sounds even bigger though! Have no idea why the cost would be less. ???

5. drneely

drneely Member

on the port city cab are the g12-65's an option or did you buy it unloaded?

6. drneely

drneely Member

sorry and also if you get it unloaded how hard is it to wire up a speaker cab?

7. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I have two D-sytle amp and two cabinets: One with 2 Heritage 12-65s and one with reissue EMV 12Ls. Both sound fantastic but they are a little different. The EVMs are louder and have more heard room. The have a bit more of a rounders sound to me. that cabinet leans more Carlton. The 12-65s sound a bit more open and have a bit more of an edge (to me). That cabinet leans more Ford. BTW, check out the emporium, I am selling 2 brand new 12-65s (I bought 2 extra when I ordered them)