• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Cab with 2 Celestion Greenbacks - Which Amp to pair with it?

Hello.

I have two Celestion Greenbacks I plan to put into an empty cabinet, and I am looking to pair a low wattage amp so that I crank it and get some good 80's heavy metal/hard rock distortion out of it. Can you recommend an amp and tell me what wattage I should be looking for?

Vanyu

Marshall 2204, or Marshall 1987. Not exactly low wattage, but they're a match made in heaven. Greenbacks are quiet speakers, itd be perfectly reasonable to gig with that combo. I've done it many times.

tresspassor

2 greenbacks will handle an amp up to 50W or so as long as you aren't planning to dime it. Marshall 2204 or some hot rodded variant will do the job. There are plenty of lower wattage options of that circuit if you are willing to go boutique. Fargen, Ceriatone, Splawn, Bogner, etc.

I did a little research and the 2204 heads seem to be going for a little over 1,000.00 these days. Very doable in the future, unless something drastic befalls me.

Very interesting!!! You're possibly going to buy a $1000 head to keep a pair of $150 speakers company

I like your style !!
Tomm,

I am open to suggestions for equivalent amps that could save me some of that green stuff (money, heh, heh). That JVM410 that I have is so loud cranked. I would love to find another good sounding amp that I can play at "8" on the dial, and still have a chance of keeping my hearing, yet still be at the level where breakup and feedback are available, depending on how hard I pick.

I was kind of thinking using those two lowered rated speakers could do it for me, and maybe help me keep what is left of my hearing intact. By all means, suggest, suggest, suggest.

It seems that there are a lot of good 20-watt heads on the market - not so much for 30 - 45 watts - at least for the harder styles.

Tomm Williams

Have you considered the use of a Marshall emulation pedal like a Dirty Little Secret along with a small, cheaper head?

Have you considered the use of a Marshall emulation pedal like a Dirty Little Secret along with a small, cheaper head?
Now that is something I have not considered. In fact, that whole avenue of emulation pedals and effects units was something I gave up on years ago. Maybe technology is marching forward enough to check into it again?

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
JTM45 turn it up loud with just a little bass and use guitar controls for everything.

They say you can't give a fool too many options. But, this is the times that we are living in. I will check out all of them and more.

Vanyu

The best amp I've ever played was a Marshall 1987 through two original Creambacks. The Marshall had a tube rectifier installed so it wouldn't blow the speakers. I can't vouch a 50w Marshall enough. Screw low wattage, these speakers like some abuse! If volume is a priority, there are means of taming them fairly easily, from installing a better MV to adding a switch to run the amp single ended. If you have a target wattage, there are means of tweaking a 50w Marshall circuit to get there

Last edited:

Geeze

I've never played a JVM but it sounds like you need to come to grips with speaker/amp physics. A lower wattage amp 15-20 watts is still a very loud beast and sounds very different than a 50 watt or more amp 'cranked'. I've spent some serious time and $$$ on the small amp hunt and was sorely disappointed sound wise. I run all 50 watt and a 100 watt [rated] amps into GB's primarily. An MV is a wonderful tool for good crunch at reasonable volumes. I pretended I was an EQ idiot [really didn't have to work very hard here] and took my rig to a couple of friend's homes so they could educate me on EQ at different volumes. So worth the effort.

So long story short - I'd recommend some time with the JVM dialing in a tone that doesn't involve cranked if you want to save your ears and dough.

IF you are on the hunt for a new to you amp a 2204 or a 1987 [with MV] are awesome with GB's.
Still going to be loud 'cranked'.

Russ

Bandit127

I am not sure what you mean by '80s heavy metal but I have a 2204 and that is awesome for tones from AC/DC to Randy Rhodes (boosted). It doesn't go beyond that comfortably though. If you want big hair, leotards and makeup type '80's heavy metal you would be better off with a JCM 900 which has more gain out of the box.

Having said that I used to be a distortion junkie "making do" with SS and hybrid amps and the 2204 has cured me of that. You get the singing feedback that you get with lots of distortion but you get so much more touch sensitivity and dynamics with just the amp or a bit of boost/overdrive switched in on a pedal for solos.

fenderpro

here's an outside suggestion...see if you can find a Peavey Bravo. much less dough, and can do the low-watt Marshall thing. ( it has 2 el-84s). worth a try...

sickboy79

Not sure what your budget is but, here are a few that I think would fit the bill nicely:

Soldano HR25
Friedman Dirty Shirley mini
Friedman Runt 20
Friedman PT-20
Budda SD18
Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini

Trending Topics

Top Bottom