CABCLONE directly into studio monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thiago_m, Feb 13, 2015.

1. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

I have a Mark V 25, but the question is similar for CABCLONE users.

The CABCLONE (and my amp) have a balanced direct out XLR output.

I was looking at studio monitors, like the Tannoy Reveal 502, that have a balanced XLR input.

Could I connect my amp to this speaker monitor directly with a XLR cable? Would anyone expect this to sound nice?

Has any CABLCONE user done that?

The purpose is to play at low volumes at home for late practice purposes. I would prefer this over headphones because it would be way more comfortable.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Have not done that, but have run into my interface, which connects to my monitors - sounds great. I might try plugging directly into my Mixcube speaker tonight to see what that sounds like.

3. Ricktoberfest

Ricktoberfest Member

I've done this with the redbox output on my amp. It sounds ok, but guitar speakers are different than PA speakers so if you like distortion you'll be dissapointed. It also requires different eq than a normal cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

But isn't the whole deal about the CABLCONE that it simulates the cabinet speakers, therefore it would sound as if it had been mic'd or something like that?

5. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Thanks! Let me know how it sounds!

6. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Yes, it should work fine. You can insert an EQ and some effects between the amp and the monitor. Your amp doesn't have a volume control (unless you count the master), so it's good to have one somewhere, either on the effects or the speaker.

7. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

The Mark V 25 has an eq, so i guess that will do?

Would inserting a volume pedal in the effect loop solve the volume control issue?

8. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

In general, it's good to have a volume control after the amp. Those Tannoy monitors have a volume knob on the back, so that would work.

That way, you can set the master volume high if you want to overdrive the power section. Check the manual to make sure the built-in CabClone can handle it!

The amp's EQ will change the distortion of the amp. It's nice to have early EQ, to shape the sound going into the distortion stages, and also late EQ, to shape the sound after distortion. So if you add a second EQ after the amp, you'll have lots of flexibility.

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Running the cab clone directly into the active avantone mixcube worked surprisingly well, so I suspect running into a powered full-range monitor would be even better. I could definitely use this setup for low volume practicing.

10. DRS

DRS Member

I've run my Cabclone from my MkV25 into a PA and it sounds good. The cab emulation works. I assume any monitor like a Tannoy would sound good to.

11. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Looks like I will get one of those studio monitors for my home practice!

Thanks for the help!

12. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

This thought is a little off topic, but the main sound tech at my church and I did an A/B test between my Cab Clone and my Avatar cab with the Alnico mic'd with an SM57. The Cab Clone was a better, fuller sound every time. Mesa really nailed this one.