Cabinet for my 'new' Sovtek Mig60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by caxelrod, Feb 5, 2012.

1. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

Just ditched my combos to go the head/cab route for my new band... playing mostly 90-ish rock... mixture of grungy to weezer-y. My two main guitars are a Jaguar and Jazzmaster.

Based on a lot of research, too a chance on a Sovtek Mig60 and am pretty excited about it. But I need to land a decent cab so I can play when it gets here!

What exactly should I get? Leaning toward a 2x12 for space (living in NYC is TIGHT)...

Any recommendations from anyone ?

Thanks!

2. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

Any good 2x12 with a good set of greenbacks will make that amp sound great.

3. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

I thought greenbacks in a 2x12 wouldn't handle a head over 50 watts? Not true?

Hows the Mesa 2x12 rectifier? Marshall 1936?

Are G12m-70s in a Marshall 2x12 as bad as some claim?

4. lpcustom

lpcustom Member

Buy the 1936 on the 'Bay. If you like the speakers (you have to play the 70s LOUD to get them sounding their best), you're good to go. If not, you still have a birch ply (no MDF in '83) cab and some trading fodder.

Besides, that'll keep ME from buying it!

5. caxelrod

caxelrod Member

What I was looking at was a JCM800 from the 80s... We're there 1936 cabs in the 80s?

If my head is 60 watts, can I have a 2x12 with vintage 30s without fear of blowing out speakers?

6. lpcustom

lpcustom Member

It's a 1983 cab based on the speaker codes. JCM 800 series started in '81.

Vintage 30s handle 60+ watts each, so no worries if you go that route.

7. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

I meant good clones. Higher power clones. Like the Eminence GB, Scumback, etc. I used to play my Sovtek out of V30's and it was harsh and spikey. Mainly at loud volumes (which is all I play). I wish I would of kept it before swapping speakers. I just don't think they made a great match. I would pair it up with a good set of higher powered greenback clones every day if I still had it.

8. lpcustom

lpcustom Member

And yes, they made 1936 cabs back then. One thing to remember about 1936 cabinets - they're not that much smaller than a lot of 412s. If you really want to save some space, look into a vertical 212 instead. My old ADA 212 has a tiny footprint but the V30s in it make some real noise.

Of course, smaller cabs mean less bass response as well. So you're best off trying some different options once you get the Mig in hand. Find what works best for you, then pull the trigger. But if that's not an option, that 800 series 1936 will be a great place to start and a much safer investment than buying new.