Cabinet is buzzy until I remove the back

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MikeMcK, Mar 23, 2008.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I have a closed-back Avatar 2x12 cab that has a horrible buzzy sound going on somewhere... kind of what I think a ripped speaker cone must sound like.

When I pull off the back to try to isolate it...no buzz. This confounds me, but I figured you guys with all the experience might have already solved this problem once o twice... any hints?

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Could it be the back is buzzing, and needs a few extra mounting screws?

Try playing the amp while holding/pressing the back along each side. Often you can feel (and see) what's moving this way.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Dave at Avatar recommends using weather stripping between the cab and the back to alleviate problems like this.

4. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Thanks for the suggestions... I did try purring pressure on the back of the cab... no luck. I happen to have some weatherstripping handy, though, so thanks again.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

It's likely the speaker baffle. A lot of times cabs with floating baffles get buzzy - especially with reflex (closed back) designs.

If the baffle is screwed in to the cleats (like some Fenders), try tightening the screws.