Cabinet Mic Placement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by utrguitar, Dec 21, 2009.

1. utrguitar

utrguitar Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but what the hell:

Is there a correct speaker to mic on a cabinet? Maybe not correct, but is there a BETTER speaker to mic on a 4x12 or 4x10 guitar cab? If they are wired in series, is there a "louder" or "stronger" speaker to mic?

I see pics of the pros backlines and their cabinets are one of the top two speakers is mic'd. I know sometimes it's because they use the mic mounting bar that goes between the head and the cab and hangs over the cab face but I rarely see a shorter kick drum style boom mic on a cabs.

Thoughts? Answers? Ideas?

2. utrguitar

utrguitar Member

3. utrguitar

utrguitar Member

Is this a ridiculous question or does no one know?

4. never-enough

never-enough Member

the best thing to do is to listen to each speaker and then decide which one you prefer.

when i mic my 4x12 cab i mic one of the bottom speakers.
    it's a slant cab, so the bottom of the cab is deeper than the top.

i don't know of any hard and fast rules, other than what your ears tell you.

hope that helps.

5. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Apparently every speaker sounds different, in a quad with all the same speakers you're splitting hairs realy.

6. chinstrap

chinstrap Member

Mic placement with angle or on-off axis, the speaker and cab type, the microphone type, the speaker type all make a difference. I have a cab loaded with M and H series Scumbacks and mic the top M75 and like it best live and recording. Experiment and you'll fun, plus come up with your own sound!!

7. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Yeah there are no hard fast rules as to which speaker would sound best, most likely if they are the same speakers, their may be subtle differences, but most likely mic placement could yield more different results over what speaker to mic.

you could always do a test and see if there is any real advantage to you for picking a certain speaker.