Cabinet Questions

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by TWBASS, Jul 25, 2019.

1. TWBASS

TWBASS Member

Hello me brothers of the low frequencies!
    I am new here but a bass player for many years.
    Have a question which you more knowledgeable folks probably can help me with.

I recently purchased an Eden WT 405 and am looking to get information on what I can do cabinet-wise. I currently own an SWR Workingman's 2 X 12 (8ohm, I think 250Watt Max.) and an old Sonic 410 (300 Watts RMS Max.). Yes, they are old cabs but still have some life in them. I am looking for the Sonic to move on and am looking at some Eden 210 cabs. I will take all suggestions on which way to go (4ohm, 8ohm, using 8ohm with 4ohm cabinets, etc,)

Let me expose my non-knowing side at this juncture:
    With 2 speaker outs, running 2 8ohm cabs, 1 from each OUT am I driving the amp at 4ohms? Or if I run 2 8ohm cabs in series using 1 speaker out on the amp am I running 8ohms or 4ohms? See I told you I don't know nothing!

Please explain so that even I can understand. I appreciate your assistance oh gurus of this type of info!

Thanks a bunch and may ye always rumble!

2. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Resistances in series add, so 8+8 in series is 16.

Resistances in parallel are reciprocal of the the sum of reciprocals, so 8+8 in parallel is 4. (1/8 + 1/8 = 2/8 = 1/4, and the reciprocal of 1/4 is 4)

I haven't used the WT 405, but the Eden head I used to use sounded great through an Eden 4x10" 4-ohm cab. Unfortunately the 4x10" cab weighed something like 100 lbs. These days I prefer to use two 2x10" 8-ohm cabs in parallel -- much easier to move.

derekd likes this.
  3. Wag

Wag Member

Granted, they aren't for everybody but if you have some modest mechanical skills and a few basic tools you might want to look into the line of fEARful cabs from greenboy. Half the weight, half the price, twice the sound!

They can be bought in kit form or made from scratch. Personally, I went with the kit. Never again will you catch me dragging around a heavy, clumsy 4 x 10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. dspellman

dspellman Member

Most fEARfuls I've run into are 8 ohms. These are freely available (plans, kits, crossovers, etc.) as DIY projects and as completely built cabinets done by Authorized Builders. There are also the fEARless cabinets F112, F115, etc., that are an update and modification of the fEARfuls, and that are ONLY available from Authorized Builders. I'm running fEARless cabinets, and honestly, they're awesome. Most of these are 8 ohm cabinets as well, and some folks (like me) will have both an F115 and an F112. The F112 will handle probably 90% of all gigs (and it weighs in at 34 lbs), but if you need some serious fridge-raiding power, you can stack it with the F115 (around 50 lbs). The pair will be 4 ohms. My amp (a 1500W) will produce about 800W running bridged/mono into 8ohms (a single cabinet) and a full 1500W bridged/mono into 4 ohms (the pair).

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

From the manual:
    "Amp Outs – These consist of two ¼ inch jacks and a NL-4 connector. The jacks are wired in parallel. The total speaker load impedance should not exceed 4 ohms."

This indicates that all the jacks are in parallel but they didn't do the best job with their wording about impedance. What it means is the total impedance of all the connected cabs should be no less than 4 ohms. So if you like stacking two cabs, they both need to be 8 ohm cabs.

bigtone23 likes this.
  6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Yep!

7. tonk

tonk Member

Only thing that I'll add here is that most bass cabinets are wired with parallel jacks. Even if you are "daisy chaining", you'll still have a series setup. Helps to double check the back plates to be sure.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you're never going to get series unless you use special cables or junction boxes; plugged into the amp or jumped from one cab to another cab, it's all parallel. two 8 ohm cabs hooked up whatever way will give you 4 ohms.

basic principle here?

for bass, you're mostly best off not mixing different kinds of cabs together. it works, but usually not as well as equivalent size and quality cabs that are identical. different bass cabs can have different phase response on the low end, meaning they don't reinforce each other as well as identical cabs will.

for the same reason, mixing 4 and 8 ohm cabs is a bad idea because the 4 ohm cab will get way more of the amp power than the 8 ohm cab does.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

oh, and welcome to TGP :)