Cable Instrument Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by technik, Aug 4, 2005.

1. technik

technik Guest

Hi,
    Do you guys use the same brand of cables for the whole loop of ur effects as well as the guitar?

I use George L's cable for all of effect to effect pedals, Mogami cable from "send" effect loop to input pedal, and I use Planet Waves cable from "return" effect loop to output pedal.

Will different high end cable brands change the clarity signal of the guitar?

What brand of cables do you guys use?

thanks

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Currently my whole rig is Rapco, they are TERRIBILE. I've got 2 george l's cable kits and 2 25 Lava cables on the way, so hopefully my tone will improve a lot . . .

3. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Cables will make a difference in tone so it's worth trying a few brands to see what you like. I really like the Planet Waves cable. Very clear and does not affect the tone as much as other cables. They just came out with a cool kit for wiring a pedalboard as well...Personally I would use the same type of cable throuh out the signal chain but thats just me...

4. Tchello

Tchello Member

For me the Planet Waves is the best one. After try many brands of cable I came to conclusion that PW are thebest one, with very little capacitance. It will not destroy your high end.
    For pedals I like PW classics and for guitar I use PW Circuit Breaker.

5. rooster

rooster Member

For all my patches between boxes, and out to my amp, I use George L's cable, the thin stuff with G&H plugs. From my guitar to my tuner input (beginning of the pedalboard), I use a Quantum cable, good stuff at a good price, and they also come with G&H plugs.

rooster.

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

If you can solder, you can make some killer cables for relatively little money. I mostly use some Belden cable (similar to the stuff the Grateful Dead used for many years on tour) with Neutrik plugs. They are very sturdy and sound great to me. I also have some Mogami cable that I just got and a few Switchcraft plugs laying around, so all I have to do is fire up my soldering iron and get to it. You can get the plugs for around $3 each and the cable is somewhere aound $.50/ft.

For my pedals, I use George L's so I could make some nice custom lengths. I also made up a longer cable with George L's (the thinner cable) but find that it twists up too easily. It has performed well from my pedals to the amp though.

7. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Check out the new Planet Waves pedalboard kit. The plugs have a soderless connection and the plugs and cable are much better then the George L's...

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I recently bought the Fender Pro Tone cable. I got it in 18 feet so at that length issues would more apparent. I'm so pleased I'm ordering a couple 12 foot and 3 foot cables.

Kelley

9. 85db

85db Member

I have a few of those Fender Pro Tone cables and I think they sound simply amazing. I compared them with one very expensive boutique brand that gets mentioned a lot on this forum and the Pro Tone sounded better!

10. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

Ya' know, I had a DiMarzzio (sp?) cable for years with Neutrik ends and such and never had any problems with it. Always sounded reliably great. Then I started pining for a PW Circuit-breaker cable. I got it, plugged it in and noticed that my tone sounded "darker" for some reason. I don't know the intricate differences between the two, but the PW really sounded "different" in a bad way. I ended up going back to the tried-n-true DiMarzzio again. I'd say grab some Neutrik ends and some Canare cable and go to town with it - or buy from Bayou cables (what I'm going to do at some point in the near future). His prices are great and there's really not an unreasonable markup on them.

11. Crackpot

Crackpot Member

I've use George L .155 on my pedalboard for several years -- no complaints. It's really convenient and sounds as good as anything I've tried.

I switch between George L .225 and homemade Canare/Neutrik for the runs to and from the board. They sound different but I can't consistently pick one I like better.

I bought a Planet Waves Custom Series cable to try but I didn't hear anything special and I didn't like the plug. It was a pain to get in and out of a Strat. And when it goes south, as all cables eventually do (especially when you're always yanking on them, trying to get them out of your guitar), it's gone for good.

It found a home in a box of scrap cables in my basement.

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I tried to order another 12 foot Fender Pro Tone as well as a 6 foot, but it appears they have been discontinued at least that's what Sweetwater tells me. I hope this is not the case, does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know if the Pro Tone cables are built from something more generic like Canare, or or they specific to Pro Tone?

13. 85db

85db Member

Yes, they have been discontinued. The actual wire is made by Carver (Carvin?).

14. 85db

85db Member

PlexiBreath, check your PM.