• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cable Interconnects... Build myself or buy kit?

jonlarsen002

Should I spend $90 on 5 interconnects or should I buy some switchcraft angle plugs and cable and solder them myself? I haven't tried this before... is it difficult? Any drawbacks to doing this versus a kit like lava or george L?

Hugo123

Gold Supporting Member
Well, it's real easy, I've managed to get great results by soldering my own patchcables, very solid connection too.

landru64

Silver Supporting Member
if you haven't soldered before, i'm not sure i'd advise it. lava's kit is pretty good and the cable sounds good. i think the george l's stuff is horrendous and really actually takes some skill to put together. not quite soldering skill, but it is nowhere near as obvious as it's presented.

GSVBagpuss

I've had fairly hit and miss results making my own cables with the George L kit, there must be a knack ot it but I don't have it!

Will try again soon, need some custom lengths for my new board I'm building

dosmun

Making your own cables is something every guitar player should know how to do. As mentioned take an old cable to practice on and do a little research on the web about soldering and go for it.

PEImatrix

For the guys that are having trouble with the George L's, how did you cut the cable? I use a little $2 cutter from PW, and I've never had a problem.

ferg

Hi all,

I have been a reader of these forums for over a year now, and on this subject I feel compelled to post.

Any cable that is not soldered is compromised no question!
Soldering is not hard and if you are serious about being an electric guitar player this is up there with reading charts... just do it! ... and use the best quality cable you can afford, it will not only give you good tone but last for years and as a bonus they fit exactly to your pedal board.

The skills of soldering help to put new pots and switches/ pickups in your guitar, as stated previously use an old cable to practice on, read up on the many web pages on how to.......give it a go.. what have you got to loose?

good luck

David:)

Trending Topics