Cable plugs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarArt1980, May 28, 2015.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

If I'm using high quality cable, does it matter much what I use for connectors? I've noticed a sizable difference in clarity after switching to Mogami cable and have several extra feet that I could use with plugs from old no-name patch cables I have laying around. Is this a good idea or am I defeating the purpose of having high-quality cable?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Generally speaking, as long as the plugs conduct properly it shouldn't be much different. However, cheap plugs can fall apart (I've seen it happen countless times) and start becoming intermittent. But even if they work fine - if you've paid extra for high quality cable, why go cheap on the plugs?

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Just as there a certain grades of cable you don't want to go below, there are certain cheap plugs that are well, just cheap pieces of crap. To me usually not worth it trying to salvage plugs, their so cheap.

4. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I have a solder once rule on all plugs. They just can't handle multiple re-heating. Salvaging them is generally not worth it unless you really have no other choice.