Cable Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ejko, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

After getting (and putting to use) some great advice from members of TGP on amps and pedals, I'm going to press my luck with a question on cables. For background, I'm playing a Carvin Bolt with single coils and a soon-to-be-arriving Carvin C-66 with humbuckers through a Swart Spacetone 6V6se. Mostly blues and 70's classic rock.

How important are cables in the overall sound equation? I see one can spend up to $150 for a 21' cable. If it's like most things, there is a price point beyond which the average guy can't tell the difference.

Any perspectives or advice on where the price point is beyond which it makes no sense to spend more? Also, any advice on brands? I'm thinking that usually there are smaller guys without the overhead to cover who can put out a great product at a very competitive price.

Thanks!

ejko

2. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

I've used many, many cables. For a fair price, I recommend Mark Stoddard's ELC Cables. I run them fron my amp to the pedalboard and to my wireless unit. For the pedalboard, itself, I use his Mini ELC cable with his new solderless plugs. My rig is SILENT! Go to www.lavacable.com

Dan

3. doublee

doublee Member

There are many many posts on this topic, nearly all are not informative. I therefore tend to think its yet another of those overly obsessive gear areas and a dead end. May be more about people obsessing about spending money, another topic altogether. I base this on myself posting this very question a few times and its never directly answered, it seems that cosmetic issues are the frequent reply, although there is the ocassional durability issue.

4. dB

dB Member

Cables seem to be getting a lot of chatter lately....the new hot topic on TGP. I've been following the threads - sometimes laughing at the comments, other times taking notes. I've used George L's patch and Monster Jazz cables for the past 10 years and have been very happy. Prior to that I used generic brands. I will admit that there was a noticable improvement when I upgraded 10 years ago. If I had the extra $$ right now I would probably try Lava or Evidence, but I would definitely not go anymore expensive - as it is that would be about $200 in cable.

If all you are using now is generic cable, then I would absolutely spend the money on a couple quality 10' cables and at a minimum do the board in George L's. You will notice a difference.

I don't really see the point in some of these really expensive brands. But, hey, if you've got disposable income to throw at NASA grade cable, go for it.

5. Rich

Rich Member

Yes, there have been several threads on the topic.

But I disagree 1000% on the comment about whether they are informative and / or focus on obessive $$ spending and / or "cosmetic" issues.

Dammit, they DO make a difference and some folk can hear it. And the issue is not how much you spend, but what you want / like to hear based on your gear, style, ears, etc etc.

To the original poster-- one of the best threads here was LouV's (I think he now uses lv). He gave his take on a whole slew of different cables and the add-on posters did likewise. Yeah, its opinion -- and the only one that really counts is yours -- but the thread would be a good start for you.

6. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

Lava Cable ELC instrument cables and mini ELC for the pedalboard. you probably won't regret it, and these cables are mid-range when it comes to price.

7. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

8. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

To close the loop on this thread, after the advice I received from TGP'ers, reviewing LV's comparisons (see link in thread above), and reviewing options with Mark at Lava Cable, I went with Sommer Spirit XXL as the best choice for my budget.

Now the tough wait for them to arrive...

ejko

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1.[/FONT]

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I found a great difference in capturing the true tone of my guitars without any annoying problems with shielding noise using a 22' Monster cable with gold ends that run about $50.