1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

cable suggestion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slowburn, Aug 22, 2005.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

since my eternity should be arriving shortly, I find myself needing to order some more cable (I need a patch cable to go between my two new pedals), and I wanted to replace one of my other cables with a longer cable. Currently I'm using two georgel's cables (I believe one is around 6ft, the other close to 5ft) , one on either side of my magicboy vibe.
    the sound can get a bit harsh at times, but overall the georgels have served me well. I am wondering if I should just order another georgel's 12-15ft to maybe reduce the harshness, as I've heard that longer cable length's reduce highs, or while I'm at it should I replace everything with bayou, planet waves, dimarzio, spectraflex, etc... I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money, it seems to me that the georgels and bayou seem to have the best price/ft, but that is just from memory, I haven't priced cable in a while. I'm also probably leaning away from more georgel's simply because I am growing weary of the kinks and tangling issues (I'm using the .155).

2. devbro

devbro Member

Go buy some Mogami 2524 or Canare, some Switchcraft ends and roll your own.:D

3. slowburn

I'd rather just buy pre-made cables rather than fiddle with stuff. (unless they're georgel's type of connectors)

4. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

www.effectsconnection.com

If you're nice, kevin might solder the cables for you himself

*edit* my bad, kevins the guy from tonejam. effectsconnection is LJ

6. miko

miko Guest

looks like you have a borrowed amp, so you may not be thinking along these lines, but it's worthwhile to upgrade your speaker cable too... I've been using a Mulder Audio X-cable in my Blues Deluxe for a few months and got one for my SWR bass combo recently and have been really blown away by the improvement to the tone on both. I'm still amazed at how much of a difference the X-Cables made.

Check out Gary at
    Mulder Audio X-Cables

7. granite

granite Member

+1 on Bayou. Good prices and easy to navigate website. Just placed an order a few days ago. Bayou is highly regarded by others on this board.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Bayou or give Lord Valve a yell and have him make some up for you.

9. trucks

trucks Member

+1 on Bayou. Very nice indeed.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

all the cables you mention will be darker than the GL's

11. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

miko: it's my amp slowburn's borrowing, so i'd LOVE for him to upgrade it before i get it back. i mean, c'mon, slow, what, you thought it was free? haha

12. slowburn

well if I'm going to do that, I expect you to clean the dust out of the bb1's knobs, and scour the earth for a batter cover...

13. rclemmer

rclemmer Guest

I've recently discovered Lava Cable. They use Canare cable and a variety of connectors. Pricing is reasonable. www.lavacable.com

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Bayou uses the same cable and connectors as Lava, and they're cheaper. If you can't find the length you want, email 'em. I ordered several different lengths (e.g. 9", 11", 6", etc.), specifying that the measurement was for the exposed cable itself (not including connectors), and I got the cables in 1 week. Excellent work.

-Ben

15. Tchello

Tchello Member

After trying various cables I came to conclusion that Planet Waves are the best ons. I have very little capacitance and little loss of treble.

16. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I am priced higher because I have dealers and I am looking for more. I asked Butch to meet my prices as he has expressed interest in dealers also but he has not done that. He also switched to G&H and Neutrik Gold contact because I was doing it along with copying my Marshall Y-Cable.

I will match any price Bayou offers for Gear Page members. I also ship same or next day USPS priority mail - so you get them in two days intead of a week. In fact, other than patch cables if you buy 5 cables you get 10% off and 15 you get 15% off - so I am currrently cheaper for these purchases. Plus, I am now treating all my cables with Pro Gold to prevent oxidation and increase conductivity - Bayou is not doing that, yet.

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

That's good to hear. Competition among manufacturers always benefits the consumer.

-Ben