Cable, what one of the best techs of the nation told me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by macmax77, Jan 11, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I have some new cables on my board, the BL cables and i love em.

I have a very expensive cable from my guitar to my board and a Fulltone from my board to my guitar.

I will keep the Name of the Expensive cable to myself because of what i am about to say now.

I started getting some harshness from my guitar, i felt i could here it more with the Neck pickup.

So i called one of the most respected Builders-Techs of the nation and explained to him everything i was going thru and told him about all of my equipment.

He asked me if i had changed my cables recently and i explained and when i told him about this exquisite cable that i bought his reaction was GET RID OF THAT CABLE and go get a cheapo at your local music store.

Then he explained to me SRV sounds and what Jimmi Hendrix did with his cables and he explained lot's of technical stuff as why i had to change the Expensive cable.

He was right, did it and i feel like a mule for falling with the expensive cable thing.

I don't know if this is the way to go or not, but i am guessing that those dudes we try to emulate didn't spend the whole day looking for a specific thing, they just played and sounded like heaven.

I have this friend that plays cheap pedals, thru a Fender HR and everyone stops to listen to him because no one believes how good he sounds.

Back to playing now, guess the Whirlwind won this round.

2. sector9

sector9 Member

I think it's a load of crap but this is gonna be a good thread!

:munch

3. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

:AOK This thread RULZ

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

You'd think the "best tech in the nation" would know a little bit more about the principles of proper cabling.

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

If you want your cable to act as a filter ... ok.

In most cases I would rather have the highs go through and turn down the
    treble at the amp or guitar, I t is easier to have it and cut it than not have it and try to boost it back up

6. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

7. leodiditright

leodiditright Member

If you want to look like Jimi with your telephone cable jack, then it's ok...otherwise:munch

8. rewog

rewog Member

I'm sure there's some truth to it if you're looking for a particular type of tone repsonse... but remember ALL the variables - from string type to speakers.
    There's no doubt a cable can be too bright, but there's the other extreme as well.

I've been amazed at how much difference cable type can make.
    The bottom line is to trust your ears.

9. macmax77

like this?

milliamps at millivolts.
    actual emf required to rearrange crystalline structures are beyond that produced by guitar pickups.

some research into the crystalline lattice energy of copper shows......
    now compare to the electrical force output of a pickup.

Maybe it is Marketing hype,

I just know what he told me worked....

Now, i am not talking about buying crap, i consider the Fulltone and the
    BL's to be very good cables, i just had a big problem with the Expensive cable that i won't mention.

As i said, i just know it worked like he said.....

I would like to see you guys doing some Blind test cable comparison with a brand new cable and a cable that has 40 hours plus and the molecules "have been rearrange,blah blah blah...." and i will bet all of my equipment that you cannot listen to the difference.

10. macmax77

:AOK

I am with you here

11. monstermike

monstermike Member

Well, think about it for a second - Jimi was using a non-true bypass wah and curly cords. Both things are known for rolling off treble and reducing output. It wasn't a pure, high fidelity sound, but it was a good one. Why not use that stuff as filters and EQ if that's the sound you're after?

12. rewog

rewog Member

I must agree Macmax, that I draw the line at "directional cable" and "cable break-in".

13. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Well if you want a dull rounded sound, make sure that you don't just buy a cheap cable, make sure it is at least 50' long. Then if you want you can also coil it up around the handle on your amp and it will double as a radio antenna.

I'm sure their are tons of people out there who are with you, that like their tone a little less bright than what their cable gives them, but if you look at your guitar there are tone knobs to turn down. Good luck with loss of dynamics and tone. :jo

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Tell you what friend. I'd rather you keep your equipment, but get some Lava cables or even some Live Wires and put them up against your skinny $2 cables and we'll see who wins.

15. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

winner

16. DC1

DC1 Member

Jimi and Stevie were both extremely particular about their gear and tone. They just used different stuff than you would expect sometimes. BTW, a cable cannot really make something harsh, but it can make it brighter. Now, a cheap cable can limit your highs and make it sound like it is less harsh, (and better) but bright does not = harsh.

There is no voodoo involved in the physics of a cable from a passive/high impedance guitar (strats LP's teles etc) to an amp or pedal; it's a filter. They sound different because they filter more, less, or differently. It's an extremely primitive circuit that sounds so good we still use it, but the construction and materials in the cable make a real difference because of our pickups' impedance.

If the cheap cable works for you, then celebrate and go back to playing.

For me, I could not care less what Jimi or Stevie played, and NO it is not good enough for me because it was good enough for them. I hear my own sounds, and write my own songs. Hell, BB uses a solid state amp. Tone is where you find it.

What was the high end cable you did not like?

DC

17. DC1

DC1 Member

Something funny is going on in his gear and the dull cable is covering it up?

just a thought.

He could also simply like that tone better. Nothing wrong with that.

DC

18. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

What criteria will you use to determine the "winner"?

Consider the possibility that a high-capacitance cable might sound better (to some listeners) in some applications. :YinYang

19. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Listen to Zappa and "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" :RoCkIn

20. devbro

devbro Member

Wanna sell me that terrible cable? PM me if you're looking to sell.