Cables... best bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sir M, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Sir M

Sir M Member

I just finished building and buying my amp and fx rig... I'm gonna be needing a lot of cables. Who is the best value for a professional guitar rig?

2. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

I'm redoing my rig too and just ordered the solderless Lava cables (to swap out my George L's) at http://www.lavacable.com for quality and convenience.

3. nodata2000

nodata2000 Supporting Member

Lava is awesome and the service is top-notch.

I have also had great success with Hot Wired Cables... http://www.hotwiredcables.com/ They have an ebay store and the prices are really reasonable.

4. butrus

butrus Member

Mogami bulk,a bunch of Neutrick plugs and a soldering iron
    Cant beat that

5. Sir M

Sir M Member

hey Mike... I'm a bit skeptical about solderless cables... can you post a review when you have it up and running?

6. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

for good availability, reliability, tone and price I like

dimarzio and
    spectraflex

7. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I have been using the solderless cables from Lava for over 6 months now and they have been great. No problems with them at all. They seem better to me than the George Ls I had.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Can anyone chime in with their experience using Planet Waves cables and kits?

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i've thought of trying out Lava, but i just can't justify spending that much on cables (again....) i like my george L's and dont really have any issues with them. they can be a bit bright with some guitars, but i like how easy they are to make and the little booties that go on the ends to prevent scraping and chipping. You can go with any high quality cable, i personally think George L's is pretty good (and you might be able to buy RA ends cheap on the emporium if everyone gets the GAS and buys the Lava stuff :D )

10. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

The George L's give me the best sound of any of the cables I've tried.

11. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

cheap pancake ended hosa's

12. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I use george Ls for my pedal board. Been on there for about 6 years now. Play out every week and have had no issues. If I change things around, I always check that none of the caps have loosened. But if you keep your board pretty much the same and don't change pedals all of the time, they hold fine and I think they sound fine as well. For guitar cables, I used geo. L's as well for quite a while but I have had issues with shorting now and then and I believe that it is due to the solderless ends as plugging and unplugging all of the time can compromise the contacts so, I bought 2 monster cables which seem bullet proof and tough for consistent stage use. They sound the same as my geo. L's as well. I am going to take my GL cables and solder ends on to them to use them as backups or my jam chords as they are smaller and a bit more flexible. But I do like the beefyness of the monsters.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

:agree

I'll never go back to solderless.

14. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I've been using the planet waves kit for a while now and I'm happy with them. Easy to put together and has a nice clear signal sound

15. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

I resisted spending the money on Lava cables for a very long time. Finally bit the bullet last year. Best move I 've made. They really made a difference to me.

16. joesl8

joesl8 Member

The George L's are great plugs but the thinner wires bunch up and tangle from my experience. I just got a Monster Cable and a bunch of Hosa 1' plugs from Best Buy. They're pretty good, I also like the beefy-ness of the Monsters. Watever you do, try to get thick wires, really dig them and they're easier to wind and coil.

17. mailman

mailman Member

Gotta give my 2-cents for DEATH VALLEY CABLES. I've been VERY impressed with their sound and construction. Their site offers lots of info, and no BS. Please check 'em out.:dude

18. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

Check out bayoucables.com. It took a while but well worth it.

19. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Has anyone tried Norton? http://www.nortoncable.com/index.php?do=pedalboards

They have a pancake connector but you can choose a quality cable. I like the idea of that. And check out the pic with the cables run under the board. Very sano.

20. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I was just about to post a similar question.

It seems like most people are just naming what they believe is "the best" but the price seems outrageous on some of these. Surely there is a nice happy medium between ultra high end ($) and those cheap crappy ones you can buy 8 for $10. What is the best "bang for the buck" (read really good quality without the exorbitant price tag)?

TG