Cables + Ditto Looper + Power = noise

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gman23, Jan 18, 2015.

1. gman23

gman23 Member

Hi all. I'm at a loss for coming up with a logical reason for this problem... I've got to be overlooking something, and I'm hoping you can help!

Yesterday, I picked up a Ditto Looper and my 2 new Lava ELC instrument cables arrived in the mail! However, I'm getting an intermittent buzzing noise whenever the Ditto is at the end of the effects chain, with the 1 Spot plugged in (doesn't matter if the pedal is switched on or off), and a Lava ELC instrument cable going from the Ditto to my amp. If the Ditto is anywhere else in the chain... no noise. If I unplug the 1 Spot... no noise. If I use a different cable (Lava Blue Demon) from Ditto to amp... no noise. It doesn't seem to matter which of the Lava ELC cables I use from Ditto to amp... either one results in noise when the 1 Spot is plugged in.

For testing purposes, I took the rest of my board out of the equation and ran just the Ditto, powered by the 1 Spot in isolation (no other pedals plugged in and no extension cables). Here's the signal path:

Guitar > 10' Lava ELC > Ditto Looper > 12' Lava ELC > Amp

... and I still get the intermittent noise. The noise cuts in and out whenever the pedal moves. Doesn't matter if it's on or off. I'm out of ideas on what's causing this and how to fix it.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try getting an isolated power supply.

3. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

TC has reported that you must use an isolated power source for the ditto, in other words, its own wall wart, or get something like a voodoo labs where the outlets are isolated from each other.

But if your getting noise from moving pedals, it sounds like it could be that you might not have a good connection, or the cord plugged into your guitar isnt shielded. I thought the ELC were for pedalboard use? Not long runs from your guitar to amp, or amp to pedalboard, I could be wrong, but if thats the case, then they are more than likely not shielded.

4. gman23

gman23 Member

It was the 1 Spot. I ran out and got a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, and now everything is silent. Since I had effectively isolated the 1 Spot by running it alone with the Ditto, I wasn't sure if getting an isolated power supply would fix the issue. But, it did. I guess it could just be that the 1 Spot went bad.

At any rate, I ran the same set of tests after I made this post, and I started getting the noise with all my cables, not just the ELC. I'm not sure why it wasn't that way yesterday.

@gibs5000
    Lava makes 2 different types of ELC cable for different applications. The ELC mini cable for pedalboard use. I got the ELC instrument cable.