Cables DO make a difference!! wow

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I was ab'ing patch cables the other night, and I could not believe the difference. Was the tone that different? Quite, but not to mention the feel and reponsiveness to my fingers and pick eq pinch harmonics. One brand the tone seemed a bit darker, almost muddy (in the overtones) during complex chords, the other bright, clear. Darker sounding cable actually made me feel as though the signal slower (that is, the neck seemed harder to play at fast speed) the other cable, while playing fast the notes were right there with me. Both cables were about the same price. So now I am thinking about going to the high end HG lyrical, or the lower melody or even try a van den hul! Has anyone here been through this, too? What cable did you sort out for ROCK tones????? I know that the the Evidence cables are solid copper but the van den huGE DOLLAR cable is strand wire. I know that Mark Stoddard of LavaCable says that the Van den Hul is the best cable that he ever has tried for any application, but MAN it IS DAMN pricy!
    Anyone?

2. tweedcab

tweedcab Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the VDH is also solid core and not stranded. FWIW, I am getting some great definition, tone and clarity out of my new Lyric HG. Both clean and overdriven.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Cary, what kind of sound do you want out of a cable? I've been doing a lot of testing and you really need to match the cable to your rig for best results.

4. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

The vdH is stranded - 4 individual conductors, each with 7 strands of a sliver, copper and zinc alloy.

5. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I've come around to just using George L's for everything.

6. Cary Chilton

Lou, I have a many amps (mesa, soldano, 5150, plexi 67' 100 head that is now about a 80 watter-old) What I really care about is a nice match for my plexi and 5150. The feel I get from the George L 's is nice, makes for a fast neck. I am not exactly sure what I HI-FI sounding cable would mean, but if it means, frequency responsive not tailored to a classic rock tone ( ala early EVH, Jimmy page, Jimi Hendrix) then I am not interested. I want something with presence of the George L but FATTER mids ( lower and higher) and without the damn harshness ( that is intolerable with a strat with a bridge vintage single coil- ya know what I mean? THe bridge single coil is bright enough, but George L seems to exaggerate this and add harshness.... Through most humbuckers ( custom, vintage etc) the George L 's sound great. I guess I want and need a cable that doesn't necessarily add mids and compression unnaturally as the monster rock cable but it also doesn't rob the lower mids and create ice pick presence with a single coil in bridge. Also the cable must NOT rob any SUBTLE compression the pick up, pedal and amps naturally are generating with my fingers! I found adding more canare cable ( via patch cables killed this feel factor, which IS not cool). It just made play much much harder and fatigued my picking hand quickly, but I was almost able to get the little magic back through shear work and more determination alone. However, my rig and already DRY and little or no compression 99 percent of the time, so to have that harmonic touch senstivity robbed because I am not using HIGH gain pickups etc is something I can't have. Last, I DON'T want a DEAD cable, the monster while HIGH in compression and lower/upper mids, the tone seems to lack a little life, less dynamics. The george L with a bridge single, can get a little scratchy and noisy. Mark at Lava, suggested Klotz for a noticable improvement on the george L cable cons, followed by the melody to the HG lyrical, last the van den hul. So is a strand cable best for me??? Or a solid copper cable? IS a solid copper cable easier to break or have issues?
    Thanks

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Well, I got some Sommer Spirits on the way (two 20 footers and 7 patch cables). I ordered them from Lava Cables a few days ago. I'm hoping my rig will have a clearer signal compared to my old cheap-o cables.

8. sssmile

sssmile Member

Can you guys give a hint on how much a set of cables would cost, goodones not the ultra expensive but good ones. I probably need 2 15-20 footers and about 8-10 pedal to pedal cables. peace

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I hear you about the borderline harshness of the George Ls. I fixed this by mixing cables. Hey why not? Folks mix speakers all the time....stack ODs....etc. Anyway I found my happy compromise by putting a 20ft. SpectraFlex between my board and amp. Everything else is George Ls. It works for me.

I've been thru my share of cables too. Including Klotz, Allessandro, Lava...etc. I know its a huge can of worms to open but mixing cables is something that seems to not been done around here. I'm not really sure why?

Bob

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hey SSSMILE,

I bought some Somer Spirits (two 20 footers and 7 patch cables) it came around 220 or 230 I think.

You can go the canare rought and get them for 110$ or so.

Looky! http://www.lavacable.com/

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Cary,

As I was reading and before I got to Mark's recommendation I was thinking Klotz. I would stay away from the Evidence stuff altogether since it is appreciably darker than the GL's. If the Sommer Spirit is anything like the Stratos (Mark?), that might be a good choice as well. The Klotz isn't super expensive and I've found it easy to sell on the emporium so might be a good place to start. I also liked the Planet Waves for a mid heavy classic rock sound though I don't think it has the presence of the GL's. To be honest, I don't really think anything is as bright as the GL's - I had a 20 footer that was brighter than many 12 and 15 footers I had at the time.

12. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

to get the most bang for your buck is to budget towards your main cable to board/amp, and just use good quality George L's or Canare for your board.

Check out the Somner Spirit and Klotz and myabe even Fulltone (I haven't tried, have heard good things though) for a budget cable that I think are a notch above the George L's or at least give a different sound than George L's, I have not tried Canare or Mogami for guitar, but that would also be in the low price range (i.e. < $40ish for 10ft).

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

once i tried the klotz, i didn't feel the need to look any further.

14. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

but like pedals, I feel the need for more...

15. LavaMan

+1 the Klotz is an excellent choice good all round cable for plexi style amps. Plenty of low end and good balance. Although, if you you play with a lot of gain, the vdH is still the best thing going IMO. It's only trade-off is stiffness. The Sommer Spirit is good, but I think the Klotz edges it just a little. With either one I think you would be happy.

16. Cary Chilton

Evidence cables are that freaken dark??? At that price?
    Mark, what about the ELC, what is it's voicing compared to klotz and evidence?

17. LavaMan

When I A/B'd the ELC against the Evidence I found to be a little warmer sounding, and the Lyric HG having better definition all the way around, so I prefer the Lyric HG to the ELC. The Klotz and ELC sound very similar, I think the Klotz has a better constucted outer jacket and I have even had a few customers email me that they prefer the Klotz to the Lyric HG which has not happened with the ELC. Both the ELC and Klotz are excellent cables though.

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

19. eaudio

eaudio Member

I think his point was compared to GL's, which I take as a compliment. Let's not get carried away. :)

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have LavaMan ELC that is working well on my board and from my guitar. Also some George L for some pedal board patches and from pedal board to amp. I guess I would rather roll back my tone controls on the amp or guitar that in the cable; I can roll the guitar knob back up, can't control it that way with the cable rolling it off.