Cabronita vs. Cabronita Thinline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gtrdave, Mar 10, 2015.

1. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Hey, I'm looking at picking up a new/closeout Fender Tele Cabronita Thinline.
    I demo'ed it for a while and it's a great player. It's enough of a Tele to satisfy that itch while being different enough from the run-of-the-mill Tele to set it apart from the crowd.

The price is good (below typical street price) but I see these new non-Thinline models going for a pretty cheap price. Like $399.
    Both are made in Mexico and both seem to be similarly equipped, so does anyone know why the Thinlines are close to double the msrp of the newer non-Thinline models?

The one I'm looking at is light blonde finish over Ash, but appears to be very similar to the newer Alder bodied models w/o the F-hole.

Just wondering about that price difference...

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I don't know, but the next tele I buy will be a Thinline Cab. I like the feel and sound of them.

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Thinlines are more complex to build. Also they came out more recently than the solid bodied ones, so there may be more demand for them at the moment.

4. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Yes, the feel and sound were both top notch. That chunky neck was a welcome surprise! I have a pair of '50s neck Les Pauls and the Cabronita's neck definitely had some respectably comparable mass to it
    The sound, though, was something really special. Fender's version of the Filtertrons seem well executed and yet didn't mask the fact that I was playing a Tele. It still got some good spank tone to it!

I think Cab Thinline will make a great companion to my Pawn Shop '72. They're both think-outside-the-box Fenders and I really dig that! :)

[​IMG]

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I bought a solid ash white MIM Cab last year that was a close out.
    Swapped out the bridge. Kept the pickups.
    It's a keeper.

6. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I would love one of those thinline cabs lefty.

Sexy.

7. Defendant

Defendant Member

I have a solid MIM one (great guitar) but I would have got a thinline if they had been available when the solid ones came out.

8. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

The thinline sounds interesting, but I'm concerned about it being mentioned in that recent thread about neck-heavy guitars.