Cabs Grill cloth how this can change the complete sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mxr2000, May 16, 2008.

1. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

I think the salt an Pepper cloth on my cab is affecting the overall sound of the amps, so my question for the member of this forum is.... How different grill cloth can affect the final result on the sound of a cabinet and which are the best to get more clear sound? Or my ear's are playing tricks on me?:roll

2. Roe

Roe Member

what do you mean by clean?

3. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

I meant clear i found that this grill cloth make choke or muffle my sound, don't know why!!, but so want some opinion from members on the forum...

4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yes, thick old basketweave attenuates highs. I used it in a 4x12 for that reason. There are acoustically transparent grillcloths, too. Anything for hi-fi is fine. Antique electronics sells many to choose (http://www.tubesandmore.com/) and there are others. I pick up som on Ebay,too.

DS

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I can see it now . . . Audiophile grille cloth. Made from low molecular weight de-ionized oxygen free nylon. $400 for a 2ft square piece.

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Cloth absorbs some of the engergy produced by the speakers. For the least effect, don't use any.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I love the tone from thick Basketweave cloth.

8. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Me too. Les Paul -> JMP -> 4x12 g12ms with 60s basketweave = The Sound Of Rock

DS

9. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

According to Ed Van Halen, the thick grillcloth is one of the keys to his classic tone, it cut the highs just enough.

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

This actually holds water. The new Diezel Cabs come with the option of changing the grill cloth because it really does change your sound.

Peter Diezel has stated this many times.

Its easy with front loaded cabs with the easily removable grills.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i blame this thread. i checked the grillecloth of my '64 princeton and effin shocker it was a repro grille! baffle looks original but was definitely cut to 12 from 10, guy probably shredded the original cloth by trying to cut the hole in the baffle with the cloth still attached.

now i have a complex. time to order a fresh grille/baffle that's done a bit more pro. still 12 inch tho, i like the celestion blue in there now. maybe i'll put the original baffle on craiglist and have someone pick it up.