Cabs on the Bogner ecstacy.

kidkramer71

Wanted to see what everyone who runs or has run the Bogner Ecstacy uses?
1. What cab are you using?
2.What speakers does the cab have?
3.What cabs/speakers have you tried?
4.What cabs/speakers do you like best?

I have the ectacy 4x12 cab with vintage 30's and love it!!
also have a marshall 1960a 4x12 with 70 or 75 watt celestions?
sounds thin compared to the bog cab.
Also have two old crate 2x12 cabs with 85watt celestions bright tight bass good for pantera/ heavy metal stuff,to much treble for me.
I want to get another 4x12 cab tryin to decide if I should get vintage 30's or 25watt greenbacks?

Kyle Ashley

Supporting Member
Bogner 4x12 with 2EVM12Ls and 2 EV SRO "coffee cans"...rarely used but awesome when needed.

Bogner 1x12 cubes with EVM12Ls.....almost always using 2 of these for club and small concert dates.

suparsonic

I'm using a EVH 5153 cab with v30s' in the bottom and EVH GB's in the top. I've also used a Soldano quad with V30s', a 2x12 OS BOgner cab with V30s' and the 5153 cab with all 4 GBs'. I like my current setup best.

Phil M

Supporting Member
I used a Bogner 101B head for about 6 or 7 months and it was one of the best rigs I've ever heard (I had to sell, don't ask. I will get it back someday though).

The Bogner 4x12s are amazing but I didn't have extra money for one of those at the time. I did have the oversized Mesa Recto 4x12 and that cab felt like it was made for that head. The best tone I ever got out of V30s.

B Money

I'm currently running my 101B into a Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab, it's a really great combination. The Celestion G10L speakers are very vintage sounding, very warm and chunky and punchy.
I also have a 1960A with V30's and G75T speakers, that sounds good too but more modern and 'immediate' sounding. Tighter, but not as full or sweet as the 4x10.
Greenbacks are nice with a Ecstacy, my buddy has a old 1960B from the early 70's that is loaded with greenbacks, sounded better at low volumes, started getting loose as the speakers started to work.
About the old cab I tried but didn't like was a Crate Palomino 2x12 cab. It was a decent cab, but whatever speakers were in it just didn't mesh well with the Bogner. It sounded kinda harsh on the high end and unsatifying everywhere else. I got rid of it!

se7en

V30/H30 in my Bogner 4x12 works great for me. Interested in trying the vaunted Scumback M75/H75 combo someday...anybody using these speakers with their XTC?

Knuckles

My favorite: Marshall 1960A with English-made Greenback reissues on the top and V30's on the bottom. Nice balance of chunk and creamy.

My band's fave: Mesa Recto series 412, all V30's because it has more bottom end. They like the heavy-osity.

kidkramer71

thanks for the responses everyone!! I'm trying to decide what direction to go with my next cab and or speakers? I thought about loading my marshall 1960a cab with vintage 30's and or 25 watt greenbacks? But then when I could buy a another cab for the same or less then the speakers?

stratotone

Supporting Member
My 2004 101B sounds great with a Bogner 4x12 V30 loaded, but it REALLY sounds nice through a '72 Marshall straight cab w/plywood back. I didn't like it all through a G75 loaded Marshall 1960 slant cab, or through a mesa oversize 'armored' cab though.

kidkramer71

Im with you strato. When I plug into my 1960a marshal 4x12 it sounds thin. My Bogner 4x12 with v 30's sounds great. I have heard great things about the 25w greenbacks, I already know I like the v 30's. But the cab itself makes a difference.

MGSchindel

I have two Bogner 4x12s, a bunch of marshall 4x12s, some StoneAge 4x12s, and some old Randall 4x12s. They are all loaded with different speakers for different sounds, and they all sound great with the Bogner XTC. You just need to be willing to dial it very differently to suit each different speaker type.

Oddly, I can get the amp to sound tighter and chunkier with the much-hated 75s than I can with the fizzy V30s! The V30s can get too chesty, loose and midrangey by comparison. But you really have to dial the amp very differently to tame the sizzle of the 75s. The amp also loves Classic 80s, likes reissue english or chinese greenbacks, sounds great with my old 25w blackbacks, is insane with my old G12H100s (HUGE fat mids that aren't chesty or spikey, just DESTROYS the V30s), and sounds sweet with the old G12-65s, too.

If you're a greenback fan and do the heavy rock or vintage rock thing, I have quads of G12C's, G12M Heritages, G12M Chinese, G12M 6402 cone English, and late 70's G12M 25w blackbacks. The amp seems to prefer the crazy G12M Chinese reissues over all the other greenback variants, old and new! A shocker! It really digs 'em, especially if you set the amp on its "old" voicing.

One speaker this amp doesn't sound good with, though, is my old G12M-70s, a very flat but edgy speaker from the mid 80s which some of my Boogie and Randall amps love for high gain thrash, but sound utterly 2 dimensional and weak for the XTC. Awful. It seems that the midrange frequencies Bogner dialed out of this 101B's preamp tone to make it dark and smooth are the same frequencies the G12M-70 is naturally lacking, leaving things flavorless. YMMV.

kidkramer71

Yeah the Bogner XTC is very diverse you can dial it many different ways. I'm to lazy I just like to plug in and play!! I do like the fat bottom end of the vintage 30s!
I can't remember if my marshall cab has 75's or 70's either way to me it sounds thin, I also have some 85 watt celestions in crate cabs don't like them either just tried a mix tonight of the 2x12 with 85's and the bog with vintage 30's ended up unplugging the 2x12 to bright not as fat or bassy. Maybe since I like the vintage 30's I should just stick with them? I have not had a chance to try 25 watt greenbacks yet?

groovetube

there is a very special man, "duncan," who is over at HC Amp Forum, who knows alot about bogners. His brother, has a very sensitive ear and is also a "big man on campus"
I don't have all of the Bogner Ecstasy info, but a friend of mine saw a lot of useful info there, FWIW.

Bogners are great high gain amps, IMO.

kidkramer71

Thanks groove!! I will go check it out. I love my Bogner!! I also have a Vai Legacy I, and an old Fender bassman that is modded I like each amp alot , although each one is a bit different. I just want to maximize what my ears like?

v75swd

I've had the XTC for two years, been running it through an Orange 212PCC, I thought it sounded great. At the same time, I've been reading about how everyone raves about the 412ST cab. I recently found a good deal on one loaded with WGS Veteran 30's. I sold my Orange cab 3 days later...

Killcrop

Supporting Member
Try a pair of G12K85 (G12K100) speakers in an oversized Bogner 2x12. Unreal.