• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Cactus

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
I dig the old Cactus better

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is THE Cactus album to have. I was just listening to Mitch Ryder's "Naked But Not Dead" CD a couple of days ago. Mitch's guitarist Jim McCarty was in the original version of Cactus. He is a good player for sure. I just Googled One Way Or Another and it came out in '71 (got the vinyl and CD version). If it had come out in '72 (freshman year of high school) it would have been Perfect. :D

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Used to see McCarty with the Rockets and he continues to gig around Detroit. Love Mitch and his great 80s and 90s work, but the guitar on NBND is Joe Gutc and Rick Schien. Props to Robert Gillespie who played guitar for Mitch for years.

mark norwine

I wore the grooves out of this one....

I always especially liked this one....maybe because of how "UN-Cactus" it always seemed to me.

Last edited:

roadfilm

First rock concert I saw was Cactus opening for The Faces I was only 10 years old but I was a big fan. McCarty is one of the greats as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad to see him back. It's a shame Tim Bogert isn't with them but I understand he's retired from the touring.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Both bassist Pete Bremy and Jim McCarty have left the new Cactus. I got that straight from Pete, who's a friend of mine and former band mate. They've been replaced, making Carmine the only original member. Neither Pete or Jim wanted to travel to Europe on extended tours anymore. Cactus is bigger over there than here.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Used to see McCarty with the Rockets and he continues to gig around Detroit. Love Mitch and his great 80s and 90s work, but the guitar on NBND is Joe Gutc and Rick Schien. Props to Robert Gillespie who played guitar for Mitch for years.
Yep. Looked at the liner notes and I'm clearly wrong/you are right on this one....wasn't the first time today. Talking about being wrong, I'm sure as hell glad I'm not keeping score. It's cold out and I don't want to have to pull off my shoes and socks.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes, that's a great album. Werner did a really nice job.
Jim McCarty has left and returned more times than I can count, and occasionally Werner has filled in for him, as recently as two-three years ago. He's a very underrated player, as is McCarty.

NashSG

After listening to that newer Cactus tune, which I hadn't heard, it's not bad. The vocalist they got does have a similar style to Rusty, so I would think live he could do the older records well. That tune posted is more mid tempo than most Cactus. I'd have to hear what they could do on some of the old stuff to really gauge their replacement bassist as Bogart is pretty awesome on the old tracks. It's kinda cool they are still fighting the fight though.

Another vet band with a late record worth hearing is the last Blue Cheer album. That one is pretty good.

Rhythm Rocker

Saw Cactus open for Procol Harum with Robin Trower on guitar (Black Strat, one Marshall stack) in '71.

Cactus had a wall of Marshalls behind Carmine Appice for Tim Bogert and Jim McCarty, and Jim also had
a Twin Reverb on an angle facing him. His Les Pauls sounded great. The first two albums, 'Cactus' 1970 and
'One Way...Or Another' 1971 are must haves.

Trending Topics