CAE 3+ SE vs Bogner Fish

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Spidervenom, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

Out of interest, how do these two amps compare? I've never managed to find clips of both amps to listen to, but from what I've read, the 3+ is a bit more open and dynamic? On the other hand, I've also read that the 3+ doesn't tighten up well under high gain palm muting, but I don't know how much truth there is in that.

Of course, Fish = Rust in Peace and 3+ = Countdown to Extinction. Fish wins.

Seriously, though, how do these two compare?

Also - anyone ever tried a Masotti X3M?

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

I thought Rust in Peace was recorded with the Triple Giant.

I know Alice in Chains and Queensryche used the Fish. I know Chris Poland currently uses one with Ohm on tour...

err... bump...

3. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

I read in two separate places that RiP was done with the Fish, but it could easily be wrong.

I'm interested in hearing what people think of these amps, because the CtE tone really didn't do it for me. The rhythm lacked the raw, slightly throaty edge of RiP, and the leads didn't have that slightly exotic tinge to the tone.

4. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Rust In Peace is the better album of the 2 but the guitar tones on Countdown To Exctinction are much more toneful IMHO... And Youthanasia is better than both tonewise. It's a 3+ too on that one.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

Wasn't Dave using a Rocktron Pirahna for some of the later stuff???

Chris

6. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

Oh, I agree that CtE has better 'tone', but I just prefer the sound of RiP... if that makes sense.

7. miltwill

miltwill Member

www.hugeracksinc.com

If you wanna discuss the CAE 3+ preamp there is really only one choice. The boys over at Hugeracks can help you out.

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey Spidervenom,

Both the CAE3+ and the Bogner Fish are preamps, not actual guitar amp heads. They're designed to be used as preamps along with digital effects, MIDI controller and a stereo tube power amp. If you're talking about Dave Mustaine's past setup, it's known that he used the Bogner Fish preamp and a VHT power amp for his live stage rig. I'm not sure of the CAE 3 + preamp, but that's Steve Lukather's favorite setup. Both are great sounding and very expensive preamps. The Bogner Fish is also out of production adding to its cost due to its rarity. I have to agree that you will find more information on the www.hugeracksinc.com website. I'm also one of the messageboard members as well, so I'm familiar with the gear you're discussing about.

Guitar George

9. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

Yeah... just laziness on my part calling them "amps", sorry.

I will ask at Huge Racks Inc. I've read a lot of info there, but it's just taking the time to go through the registration process. I'm sure you've gathered by now I'm lazy :p

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I owned a Fish... #10 or #11. At the time, CAE 3+ has no SE version. I compared the Fish and the CAE 3+ side by side with a VHT Power amp... the Fish won.

When the CAE 3+SE came out... that's was a winner to me, BUT I still loved the tone of the Fish. Call Bogner... I believe he has some mods that will beef up the Fish.

11. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I played both the Fish & CAE preamps 8 or so years ago, mated with VHT Power Amps & Eventide H-3000s (I think) (my band shared a room & the other band's guitarist had these rigs) and I thought the Fish was the bomb! It seemed to have more life, more versatility, and the Brown channel was the ultimate modded-Marshallesqe tone I'd ever heard. The CAE seemed a bit more sterile, lots of gain, but voiced differently. Two different animals. You may like the CAE, tone is subjective.

12. Spidervenom

Spidervenom Member

Ah, yes, the Rocktron Prophesy. I can't say I'm much taken with the more recent album tones... and the live tone is just bad :messedup