CAE MC-404 Wah issues

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tiny_terror, Mar 28, 2015.

1. tiny_terror

tiny_terror Member

I'm having some trouble with my CAE wah. Awesome wah, but one day it just stopped working.

Symptoms as follows:
    • Bypasses fine (it's still in my chain)
    • Power is also fine (Boost function and all lights are working)
    • When kicked in, all I get is a very bassy, almost imperceptible sweep
    • Same thing happens on both inductors
    • Caps seem to measure ok
    • Pot measures at 95k-ish, and when turned starts slowly and then rapidly moves down to 65k

Any ideas, I'm all ears!

2. Tona Fide

Tona Fide Member

I'm interested to hear more on this I had issues with my CAE doing something similar recently.

3. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

hi, do you have the hotpotz2? the very early CAE wahs had an icar taper pot similar to the gcb95F from dunlop, very shrt life before going scratchy. even tho the ealry press on the CAE claimed the icar taper, they quickly switched to hotpotz2 , which is the opposite of icar.

the reason i ask is, the hotpotz2 VERY rarely fails ( OR goes scratchy for that matter).

i would suspect your ground to pot, or one of the other pot wires. the resistances you gave, is that the full heel to toe sweep? is it measured with the pot disconnected? happy to advise more, we probably can figure it out.

4. tiny_terror

tiny_terror Member

Thanks joegagan.

Not sure about the pot, as I haven't removed it yet.

The resistance was the full sweep, but I've never actually felt that the sweep was particularly even. Always seems to 'top out' a little before the sweep ends. The pot was measured disconnected.

5. joegagan

You can tell what type of pot it is without removing it. You can see part of it from the side, hotpotz2 has black band cylinder with white back, 3 turret lugs in the back( white area) . The early style pot does not have lugs on the back of the pot. Your pot should read 0 to 95k or so, your readings seem to indicate a faulty pot.

6. tiny_terror

tiny_terror Member

In that case, definitely not HP2.

What pot would be the best replacement? Should I go HP2, or is there something better?

7. joegagan

if you like ICAR- like taper , even and gradual up through the foot movement, there are numerous types availalble, including my mil- spec ' smooth pot'.

if you like a rapid transition, quacky, more condensed sweep, a hotpotz2 is good. i also sell a ' smooth kit" hotpotz2, which is like a hybrid between the two , slightly closer to the HP2 side, but more spread out. i swap the 14 tooth standard gear for a 16 tooth for slower response. still works in the CAE and all other standard wahs.

8. tiny_terror

tiny_terror Member

Thanks Joe, you've been massively helpful. I've had a look at your wah pots on eBay, just not sure which one to go for.

I tend to play either distorted Slash-inspired wah-inflected lead lines, or more funky and sometimes ambient clean chordal stuff. I always follow my wah with a light compressor, and my rig tends towards the vintage side of things, LP into Blackface Fender.

9. joegagan

ahh - the compressor after wah trick -- love it! i have been wanting to release a commercial wah that has a comp built in, that way we can make the wah real rad and spikey ( something that would piss some people off if not mellowed by a compressor).

not trying to sell people pots here, just putting up info. based on longevity ( the hotpotz2 still lasts longer than my smooth pot, simply the difference between plastic element and old school carbon) and your music, i think a stock HP2 or one of my ' smooth kit HP2s with the slightly expanded taper due to my larger gear would be your best bets.