CAE OD100 or Bogner Shiva 6L6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, May 24, 2008.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've narrowed my next amp purchase down to these two amps. The Bad Cat Hot Cat came in close behind. I've tried a Shiva EL34 but found it too compressed. Since the recent changes in the Shiva's boost etc. how are they? The OD100 Standard + is a monster amp. For the same money almost, it would be hard not to pull the trigger on that amp.

2. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I've owned three Hot Cats, OD100 (not the plus version), and played many Shivas. I'd own another Hot Cat before the other two. The OD100 has the best clean channel of the, however I found the gain channel to lack note definition and midrange clarity.

3. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

I've owned a shiva 6l6 combo in the past and I also own a cae od100se.The bogner had a great if not dark grit that was very marshallesque,however the clean on the od100 cannot be touched by the shiva.also the shiva was so heavy I lost interest and sold it within a month of purchase.I love all the od100 versions but the se and classic + are in my opinion two of the best amps you can own period.No contest listen to clips of the different od's and give your nearest Suhr dealer a call.It's in my top 5 amps of all time and you can't go wrong with either version.
    ps:if you go with an od100 get a bogner 4x12 with celestion v30's.PURE TONE HEAVEN!!

4. mwalker.rock

mwalker.rock Member

shiva 6l6. great amp. i hated the el34, but the 6l6 rules

5. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

The gang at CAE would tweak your Standard + to the way you play, the gear you use. 5881's are generally used in it too. Go to John Suhr's site and inquire...:rolleyes:

6. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Have a Shiva 2x10 combo (6L6 w reverb) and a OD100 Standard. The clean channel on the OD100 IMO eats the Shiva and is more versatile with its gain switch for beefier cleans w light grit. The OD100's effects loop is much more effective, and you're better able to get rockin' tones at low volumes than with the Shiva. My Shiva has gotten little use since I got the OD100. Before the OD100, the Shiva was my #1 for gigs, and is still one of the best amps out there. You can't lose either way.

-- Sunil

7. Dave Miley

Dave Miley Member

Though I do not use a channel switching amp at this time, I think the CAE OD amps are one of just a very few amps that seem to have both a very good clean channel and overdrive channel. IMO both channels on a CAE are better than Bogner Shiva. The Bogner just falls a bit short on both channels compared to the CAE.
    I am very very particular about tone. Clean has to be bouncy enough for rockabilly , chickin pickin, and Sultans of swing clean. Clean lead playing and Andy summers sparkle too.
    The OD channel has to be able to back off or saturate with thick balls.
    Those CAE + amps to me are very good.

My rig= FenderTele, Collings CL Deluxe, Bruno UG 30 , Matchless SC30 (one at a time or ran in tandom if I need big volume) Boogie V twin pedal, Radial Tone bone (Hot Brittsh) Plush Cream pedal, Xotic RC Booster,Boss Compressor, Rocktron Intellefex<(Until I get a few decent analog pedals).Voodoo Lab Ground control with GCX rack unit to switch all the above.

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have an EL34 Shiva and an OD-100 "Classic". It's not even close. OD-100 in a heartbeat.

9. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Fan of both amps but my Suhr OD100SE plus is far better for anything I would use it for from clean to mean. The OD100 is a better amp.

10. samhill

samhill Member

My OD100se+ kicks ASS!!!!

Mark

11. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I gotta say go with a Shiva 6L6 head! That's everything you need right there +/- a few pedals.

12. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I thought the Shiva was the best 2 channel amp ever....then I got an OD100...

13. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I also got rid of a Shiva after getting an OD-50. In my opinion, the CAE has much better cleans, really sparkling, and the boost has more range. And the tone controls have huge range. The Shiva is a good amp, but the OD's are really exceptional.

14. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

OD-100 by a long shot.

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well it seems like a unanimous decision.

Everyone that has tried both seems to think the CAE OD by a long shot.
    Only the people that haven't trired the OD seem to think the shiva.

Must be some truth there somewhere.

Based on the responses and the fact that you may not be able to try before buy............The probability is you will like the CAE OD more and it would be the better option based on the responses.......

Rick

16. George Adelson

George Adelson Member

I had the exact experience imonabuss had. I had the Shiva 6l6 and thought it was really nice until I got the OD-50. The cleans on the Shiva were a little more spongy and less sparkly than the OD in comparison IMO. The clean channel on the OD will cover a lot of territory stylistically. I hated the drive channel on the Shiva. Like the drive channel on the OD much better. I agree with the above poster that it does lack a bit of mid clarity. The effects loop on the OD is superior for my applications. I believe early versions of the Shiva possibly had a quirk in the effects loop. I'm using the OD with a THD 2X12 with Celestion Golds BTW.

I almost forgot. The weight of the Shiva was eventually going to give me a heart attack or a hernia. In it's defense, I really like the dual reverb for both channels.

My only real problem with the OD is deciding what mod I want to get. I can't really decide. It's giving me option anxiety.